Verizon's Spam Filtering Rules Are Driving Customners Away!
tc1000
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having routine emails erratically being bounced back undeliverable as spam because of absurd Verizon Spam Filtering rules.  This is incredibly frustrating and  will lead me to cancelling my account if it is not ended soon.  My email is defintely not spam yet I regularly get emails bounced back as spam - even when sent to individual single address friends with no special characters or anything that could be interpreted as a sales message! 

This nonsense has got to stop.  I'm sure i am not the only Verizon customer sho is being subjected to this harassment.  What is Verizon afraid of - that an extra email may get through?  This is so typical of the bureaucratic mentality of the telephone company.  After so many years of being regulated as a public utility, it cannot rid itself of the regulatory control mentality.

Re: Verizon's Spam Filtering Rules Are Driving Customners Away!
milhaus_vz
Contributor - Level 1

tc1000 --

Thanks for the question.  This is certainly a valid concern.  Because spam is becoming an increasingly evident problem within the email community, more and more action is being taken to counter it; whether it's from national legislation, internet service providers, or individuals themselves.  I've posted a link to Verizon's spam filtering statement and also a link to more information on how it works and how to use it.  Thank you again for the post.  -- Mike M

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Email/Blocked+Email/QuestionsOne/85701.htm

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Email/Blocked+Email/Blocked+Email.htm

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if these are business emails then try to put yourself on a whitelist so you can send without a problem. 

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/whitelist/

Also Email them and have them review your emails so that they can update their spam detector.  Forward mail that should not be spam to spamdetector.update@verizon.net

If you have a static ip that you're sending the email from, then send an email with the IP addresses that are requested to be whitelisted to whitelist@verizononline.net

www.isnotspam.com    go there and try to see what's causing your false positive.

Also MAKE SURE to try to send the email using verizon's webmail and see if it goes through.

it COULD be your email program sending something that is triggering the spam detector.

Spam Checking Tools And Tips To Avoid Your Newsletter Being Filtered, Blacklisted Or Marked As Spam

0 Likes
JubiLee2
Enthusiast - Level 2

milhaus_vz -- Who does Verizon license its spam filtering technology from?  That's a serious question, I'd genuinely like to know because it's clearly antiquated.  For example, the E-mail security industry solved image spam over three years ago, yet image spam still fills my Verizon In Box, I get dozens of them every day.  Furthermore the links you provided are over 5 years old, it mentions 2005 right in the information.  That's a generation ago in terms of technology.  Are you telling us these outdated whitelist and spam filtering solutions are still in effect at Verizon?  I've followed that VZ whitelist procedure once myself, and it was totally ineffective.

Why doesn't Verizon just get its E-mail security from Google at this point?  Gmail is the most effective E-mail service I've ever seen, and I'm sure Google licenses out that technology (aka Postini).  Whatever Google charges for it, I'm sure it would be a much better investment than whatever Verizon is wasting its money on now to manage its E-mail.

JRTEMT
Contributor - Level 2

My problems started a couple of weeks ago. Before that I had NO SPAM. Suddenly, I"m getting 25 messages daily to my & spouses email account @verizon.net!!!!

Didn't change anything on my end. Still using Norton 360 AV. For 2 years after changing from RCN I had NO SPAM.

Don't know what Verizon changed but this is totally unacceptable.  Even checked my settings on my account and noticed the port was changed to default 25...know I set it to 587 over 6 months ago per instructions. How does this happen???

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@JRTEMT wrote:

@my problems started a couple of weeks ago. Before that I had NO SPAM. Suddenly, I"m getting 25 messages daily to my & spouses email account @verizon.net!!!!

Didn't change anything on my end. Still using Norton 360 AV. For 2 years after changing from RCN I had NO SPAM.

Don't know what Verizon changed but this is totally unacceptable.  Even checked my settings on my account and noticed the port was changed to default 25...know I set it to 587 over 6 months ago per instructions. How does this happen???

your problem is slightly different,  you are getting spam, and these other folks are trying to send mail and being told that their mail is spam that they are sending. 

for you, you may want to do a few things differently then them,  

1. You should start reporting the spam with a spam button in the webmail client
  2. Forward spam emails that were not caught to spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net
  3. Set your e-mail filter. An e-mail filter and spam blocking software are absolutely critical. Set these security measures to update automatically to ensure that you are protected from the latest threats.
  4. NEVER reply to spam. Replying to spam, even to "unsubscribe," could set you up for more spam.
  5. Protect your e-mail address and instant message ID. If you must post this information online, set up two identities, one for real use and one for online activities.
  6. Be wary of e-mail attachments. Change the settings on your e-mail program so that images and attachments are not opened automatically. Only open attachments from users known to you.
  7. Watch out for phishing scams. Don't click on links in e-mails or instant messages unless the sender is known to you. Instead, open a separate web browser and visit the site directly.
  8. Create smart and strong passwords. Use a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
  9. Never enter your personal information in a pop-up window. You may not be able to tell when a scammer has hijacked a seemingly legitimate site.

Don't fill out online surveys, or register for contests or fan clubs. These may be fronts for spammers trying to collect your e-mail address

Jim_Rogers117
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, you're instructions are telling me that every email I try to send out that is classifed by your system as outgoing "spam" should be forwarded to your spamdector.update@verizon.net?

Can I just cc you on everything I send out.......? Will that update your system to allow me to send emails?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Don't kill the messenger.  you got a problem, I'm just offering a little bit of help.   you probably want a way to update Verizon with your stuff so they don't think you are spam right?   Cool.  then email them. 

0 Likes
Jim_Rogers117
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't but I do now, found that out in another thread....sorry about that.....

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

np,   happens to the best of us.     🙂

0 Likes