Who or What at Verizon.net determines Spam
msmoommist

Some of my replies are being "determined" to be spam that are perfectly illegitimate mail and I cannot reply, because server will not accept them. How do I get this to stop? And how do I get the SPAM Detector to work on the real spam?

Thanks for any help.

Ms MoomMist

0 Likes
Re: Who or What at Verizon.net determines Spam
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@msmoommist wrote:

Some of my replies are being "determined" to be spam that are perfectly illegitimate mail and I cannot reply, because server will not accept them. How do I get this to stop? And how do I get the SPAM Detector to work on the real spam?

Thanks for any help.

Ms MoomMist

The incoming SpamDetector and the outgoing Spam filter are completely separate. For incoming spam, I recommend making use of the filters and/or blocked senders list.

For the outbound spam filtering, you should read over the Spam FAQ page listed in the error you get.

You will not get any response when sending the message to spamdetector.update@verizon.net for review. You attach the message that you are unable to send, and they review it. Depending on the outcome of the investigation, the filter will either be updated to allow the content that was previously blocked, or it will be determined to be a legitimate block and no changes will be made.

Some troubleshooting steps you can try:
If you have a signature, try removing one line at a time from it and attempting to send the message again. Some signatures look like "ads" to the filters, apparently.

If you are using a pop3 client (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) try sending your message from the verizon.net website. If this resolves the issue, then it is something that your client is adding to the message that is causing it to be blocked.

If the Subject line of your message has a whole bunch of "Fwd: Fwd: Re: Fwd:" try removing some of them.

Remove any links/URLs from the email one at a time to isolate if one of them is causing the block.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Forward your email to www.isnotspam.com   (there is an email address at that website) and they will return a reply to you with what they think is flagging the spam monitor.  

They are not Verizon, so they are a general spam filtering service, and it might give you a clue about why your email is being turned back as spam.

ALSO if you are using an email client like outlook, TRY to send it in the verizon website.  It may not be a Verizon issue, it may instead be an issue with your email program.    so that is a good test.

pkegney
Contributor - Level 1

msmoonmist, One of the major contributions of SPAM determination is whomever your provider is 'partnered' with and those they are not. AOL was great for this they were inundated or affiliated with so many companies that spoofing from any number of these companies was possible whereby your e-mail address was compiled into a gigantic mailing list that was then summarily distributed and/or circulated amongst reputable and disreputable individuals alike. It's called phishing or social engineering 101.

The only true way to remove SPAM is to change your e-mail address and protect it like your PIN #. Only give it to people you can trust and value said trust not to redistribute your address without your expressed permission. I, personally have several addresses: One in particular that I give out everybody when I'm asked and those others are protected by to/from settings which I can control indicating 'whom' I will actually accept from & whom will summarily be blocked. I've also similarly informed all of my friends and/or clients that any such e-mail containing more than their address or that have their e-mail address's inclusion in a multi-contact mailing (chain) will result in banning from my INBOX. That way I can keep a control over who is actually sending me troublesome e-mailings.

Laugh but it works I have to date virtually no SPAM in 4 of my protected e-mail accounts plus one big e-mail dumpster that I spend a few minutes filtering through just the deleting the garbage. Its really simply, just sort them by sender then select them by bunch and delete them ...then I can freely sift through the remainder reading and/or replying to those warranting a response.

I use this e-mail dumpster for all my online shopping and such as well. It keeps those companies and their partners in check too! This has work for me for over 15 years and it only took me a few minutes to setup after I learn about this phishing practice. I know of 2 specific things regarding SPAM: one is the checking of the actual e-mail's active status which is summarily logged and forwarded to a never ending updated pool of mailing lists and the second is whether the account is actually working via recipient's opening of the actual suspect message and a response is sent back to it's origin via that triggered event. Similar simple scripts such as this are used in web page (click) counters you'll find throughout the web logging every you visit you make to a page.

Give it a shot you don't lose anything, but the the time spent perusing through junk & excess e-mails. I will probably take you less time to setup than it took for you to read this post.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Most online ISP's (big ones at least) use Norton for their online spam protection.  so It's an automated system that does it. 

0 Likes
pkegney
Contributor - Level 1

You are aware that Norton has partners too right! Many of them connected to other partners who do not follow the SPAM guidelines. Just take a gander at the sudden software, banking and plethora of other seemingly unrelated products that show up in the mailbox as soon as you utilize Norton. Last time I used Norton product they had advertising within the interface, of which you could 'opt-out'. However once a SPAMMER gets a hold of your e-mail addy the attack begins. AOL is the worst ..just open up your temporary internet files once you logon to AOL even Verizon. There's a host of cookies with your name on them telling adservers what you'd like to see. That route to your computer is harvested and sold then re-sold  then resold again to adserver and mailing lists. Inevitably you end up on a mailing lists acquired by some than scrupulous entity. Unfortunately for us all, Hubrisnxs, Norton and protection like it are steps behind these guys. These protections can only protect you from what they already know, not from newer attacks. Notice that you only get updates after they've encountered newer exploits.

Hubrisnxs wrote:

Most online ISP's (big ones at least) use Norton for their online spam protection.  so It's an automated system that does it. 

0 Likes