Why does Verizon send out the silly Port change message?
angryemailer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have checked with the Verizon techs and they say in most or many cases there is NO NEED to change ports for ingoing and outgoing. Indeed, if the system is working OK you should NOT change ports because that could mess up your system. This is the second time Verizon sent me this request to change ports. They need to MODIFY THIS EMAIL so people don't do the wrong thing. Horrible service. Fix this, Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Why does Verizon send out the silly Port change message?
pam210

I agree!! What a waste of my time.

0 Likes
pam210

However, do we need to change the server names?

I.e., incoming to pop.verizon.net  and

outgoing to smtp.verizon.net?

0 Likes
angryemailer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I changed NOTHING and it still works just fine.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@angryemailer wrote:

I changed NOTHING and it still works just fine.

For now.  Of course the old settings still work right now, but they really intend to shut down at least some of the old urls and ports at sometime in the future.

Kevwah

I highly recommend not changing the settings.  I did and now I can't send e-mail even after changing the servers back.

0 Likes
lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

verizon claims it's in effort to reduce spam email lol is that silly or what.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@lilhighway wrote:

verizon claims it's in effort to reduce spam email lol is that silly or what.

I would like to see that statement, can you please provide a link? Thanks....

Keller, TX 76248

lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

justin

common sense tells the story why else would they make these changes?second of all we know for a fact verizon tries to control inbound and outbound email traffic called "industry standard"funny that aol,windows do not use this standard.and what is the purpose of monitoring outbound email traffic. when verizon claims the spammer only uses a domain once then changes it.justin why does verizon control email traffic?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@lilhighway wrote:

justin

common sense tells the story why else would they make these changes?second of all we know for a fact verizon tries to control inbound and outbound email traffic called "industry standard"funny that aol,windows do not use this standard.and what is the purpose of monitoring outbound email traffic. when verizon claims the spammer only uses a domain once then changes it.justin why does verizon control email traffic?

You still seem to be under the mistaken impression that Justin is a Verizon employee. Only Verizon knows why Verizon does what they do. Anyone outside of Verizon is only guessing.

And since you are making an assumption, you are claiming it is to reduce spam, not Verizon. Don't state your own opinion as a declaration from Verizon. (Unless, of course, you actually work for Verizon and have insider information. In which case, you should identify as such and comport yourself in a more civilized manner.)