Re: Wortless spam filter
gerryl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently returned from a two week trip to find over 200 spam e-mails. Yes, I had spam filtering and blocking turned on, but we all know that the Verizon filters are useless. I mark all spams as spam, which is also useless, and forward all spams to abuse@verizon.net, spamdetector.update@verizon.net, spam@uce.gov, and spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net, but with the frustrating knowledge that that is also useless.

Then came my idea – many of these spams offer products from legitimate companies, like Amazon or CVS, but without their authorization. As an individual I cannot stop these spammers, so I was going to forward the spams to the companies, asking them to use their resources to stop the spams, and indicating that I would not partonize them unless they stop the spams. One problem – Verizon recognized these messages as spam would not let me forward them. Since they know these messages are spam, WHY THE HECK DID THEY ALLOW THEM TO BE DELIVERED TO ME???

Also, while travelling in Russia and Asia I tried to log on to Verizon to get my e-mails. Verizon would not let me log on because of the “high spam activity in these areas.” So Verizon is doing nothing to stop distribution of spam, but impedes my attempt to deal with it.

Verizon – wake up or there will be one more ex-Verizon customer.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@gerryl wrote:

...I...forward all spams to abuse@verizon.net, spamdetector.update@verizon.net, spam@uce.gov, and spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net, but with the frustrating knowledge that that is also useless...

You are shooting yourself in the foot there. The spamdetector.update address is for legitimate messages that were caught by the Spam filter. By sending to both spamdetector.update and spamdetector.notcaught, you are telling them that the message both is and is not spam.

gerryl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the tip.  It is unclear to me that sending the spams to these sites does any good, but it can't hurt to try.  Perhaps if all users sent all their spam back to Verizon, Verizon might actually have to sit up and take notice.  Or am I dreaming?

0 Likes
gcville
Contributor - Level 3

I also noticed that I tag source email as Spam and i still get the Spam.  Verizon, plz address this. The spam filter isnt working properly for me either. need the spam blocked.

0 Likes
Bramble1111
my spam detector worked really well for the last 6 years. 20-30 spam emails daily would automatically go to the spam detector folder where I could make sure there were no legitimate emails there and then delete the spam without cluttering my inbox. All the sudden one day around October 2014 timeframe, I have not had one single email go into the spam folder...from. 6 years of 20-30 spam a day getting caught to zilch for 8 months straight....but After many tries to get help, I am being told nothing is wrong on Verizon's end....
0 Likes
mad_user

I Agree, the spam filter is useless. I must mark 50 e-mails/week as spam and they keep coming back. Do you know what else is useless? Try the e-mail filter, it's another useless product. They allow you to block a e-mail if a phase  in the   "From, To or Subject" appears in your e-mail. The problem is, the e-mail spam keeps changing their e-mail address and subject content. Verizon could be smarter and give you more tools for blocking unwanted e-mails but they make money on all this spam and are part of the problem.

0 Likes
Re: Worthless spam filter
spamattic

Yep, after years, I did.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
MattDoc1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Could not agree more. More than 90% of all my email is spam from the same senders. This filter is just not performing and needs to be addressed. There has to be a way to fix this without threats from users to cost the company money BUT sadly that is usually not the case. The only way most BIG company's respond is reactively, not pro-actively. They fight to get you back but not to let you leave.

timandkath

Two years later and it is still worthless

0 Likes
timandkath

I think that 10 spams a day that are the same is a unacceptable, wouldn't you say?

0 Likes