Yahoo mail suddenly stopped working with Outlook 365
WMFJ

We had a user's Yahoo mail account stop syncing abrutly last week. Another tech and I tried adding our Yahoo accounts to our own Outlook profiles, without success. We are able to add other IMAP accounts (gmail, Comcast) with no issues.

We've tried every Yahoo.mail server setting/combination possible and are at a loss as to how to resolve the issue.

Help?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Yahoo mail suddenly stopped working with Outlook 365
Rollo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I figured out the problem.  Yahoo has switched to two-factor authentication, Outlook doesn't support that.  So, what worked for me was to log into my Yahoo mail via a browser, go into account management, and turn off two-factor authentication.  I tried adding my Yahoo mail account back into Outlook after that but that failed, so I turned two-factor authentication back on.  With that step, a pop up let me know that some apps like iOS mail and Outlook don't work with two-factor and gave me an opportunity to let Yahoo generate a password for those apps.  Once I entered that password into Outlook, my Yahoo mail started working again.

View solution in original post

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Found this...hope it helps you to lead to your answers...

Good luck with your "research"

https://outage.report/yahoo-mail

Rollo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I figured out the problem.  Yahoo has switched to two-factor authentication, Outlook doesn't support that.  So, what worked for me was to log into my Yahoo mail via a browser, go into account management, and turn off two-factor authentication.  I tried adding my Yahoo mail account back into Outlook after that but that failed, so I turned two-factor authentication back on.  With that step, a pop up let me know that some apps like iOS mail and Outlook don't work with two-factor and gave me an opportunity to let Yahoo generate a password for those apps.  Once I entered that password into Outlook, my Yahoo mail started working again.

panoslondon1

Had the same issue. Go to yahoo security then select Outlook desktop as the app and it wlill generate a new password for you. Enter this in outlook desktop instead of your usual password and should work. This is new as of 2020-21 i think.

0 Likes
Kulafu

Not working. Tried to call and chat support but they cannot assess the issue even i already sent them screenshot. Why only IMAP and SMTP is reachable while POP3 is not? Below is the mxtoolbox report of the pop.bizmail.yahoo.com dns check.

---

Bad Glue Detected
Parent server gave glue for pop.mail.yahoo.com to be any-jpop.mail.gm0.yahoodns.net but we resolve that hostname to 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35

Parent server gave glue for pop.bizmail.yahoo.com to be pop.mail.yahoo.com but we resolve that hostname to 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35 66.163.170.35

---

Hope Yahoo Tech Support will resolve this concern. All my tickets pertaining to this issue has been closed without resolution.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes