able to keep verizon.net after cancelling service?
hoohoohaa13
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am cancelling my verizon account. I have a @verizon.net email address, but I always check it through yahoo. Will I lose my email address, or will I still be able to get it through yahoo?

Re: able to keep verizon.net after cancelling service?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you cancel services with Verizon, you will lose your email address.

There are ways -- such as registering a domain thru verizon -- that for a minimumal annual fee will allow you to keep a verizon email address.  However, I usually recommend instead that people find a register a domain name of their own or register for an account at one of the free email providers such s Gmail and change their address to that.  With the former, most DNS registrars will not allow you to do email forwarding for free as part of their services (or you can sign up for Google Apps which is free for residential users -- this is what I use, I have a personal domain name that I host on google servers such that I have the Gmail interface but my email domain).  With the latter, you at least have an email address which is not dependent on your internet service provider.

Using internet service provider address is always a dicey practice since if you ever change - like you must be considering -- you have to tell everyone a new address.   Change to a non-ISP server or get your own domain name and all the ISP change stuff remains behind the scenes.