Solution: Mobile phone incoming POP3 email stopped working, got it switched to pop.aol.com
gaupmw
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Samsung Galaxy S6 just stopped receiving incoming mail for no apparent reason. I tried over and over again to set up the incoming POP3 server mail settings and kept getting a message "cannot safely connect to server." I finally solved the problem when I used AOL's settings for POP3 email via third party email apps, i.e., incoming POP3 server = pop.aol.com; SSL required, port = 995. AND VERY IMPORTANTLY: user name sent to incoming POP3 server must be your full verizon.net email address---your phone will NOT log in to aol.com incoming server unless using your name@verizon.net full user name, this is the same as if you were logging into aol.com email on their website. And I found the ONLY way I could change the user name shown on the incoming server settings page (it was grayed out) was to delete my email account on my phone and start anew, and use MANUAL setup. But after setting it up (including using AOL's outgoing mail server = smtp.aol.com; SSL required, port = 465), my good ol' email icon on my phone works again! I had downloaded the AOL mobile phone app, resigned to getting email through their app, but now don't have to, uninstalled that, and can keep using my familiar email application. Hope this helps someone.

Re: cannot connect safely to server
B112
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here -- as of Feb. 22 I cannot sync my Email on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with my AOL account, although test emails sent from it do appear in my online account. Testing the configuration settings generated the "cannot connect safely to server" message. First time I've ever had any problems with this account.

Re: Solution: Mobile phone incoming POP3 email stopped working, got it switched to pop.aol.com
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad that you solved your problem.

Great that you shared your solution in detail.

0 Likes
Jackel1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Freaken ditto 

Cannot safely connect to server

Just got off the phone with Verizon agent - They at this time have no idea what's going on 

I have Samsung Galaxy S6 with Verizon / Now AOL email - aol sucks

Had NO problems until Verizon went over to aol. Problems like frequently having to re-sign my password. 

AOL is also looking for a fee to increase email security.  I have a hunch they're behind this.  My wife has an imac and they charged her $5 a Month for months without her agreement they explain something to do with a security ad on 

Anyway feel bad for anyone going through this cannot connect issue that I've spent practically the whole day on with no resolve 

If anyone has the answer I'd sure appreciate they share it.

0 Likes
B112
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
kch3
Enthusiast - Level 2

It worked ! Thanks. Aol,Verizon and Samsung could not give a solution. .but you did. Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Solution: Mobile phone incoming POP3 email stopped working, got it switched to pop.aol.com
JackMathis
Enthusiast - Level 1

Many thanks - worked fine for me.  I have my samsung email app working again.

0 Likes
Jackel1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks buddy! 

0 Likes
arclink
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is so unacceptable. Verizon owns AOL. They dump our e-mail onto AOL and AOL acts as if we are illegal aliens. The reason everyone is having trouble is that these they changed the certification chain for the POP server. It used to start at DigitCert and end in Verizon in Irving Texas and pop.verizon.net. When these problems started a few days ago the chain changed to go from Digicert to Yahoo in Sunnyvale California and pop.aol.com which leads to a name conflict.

I have no issue with the change but why do they not notify the users to change their port settings to AOL? They just left us in the dark to muddle through on our own.

Kiwi422

Thank you!  Deleting the entire account before changing the settings did the trick.  That was frustrating!!

0 Likes