Re: Solution: Mobile phone incoming POP3 email stopped working, got it switched to pop.aol.com
dryforkcc

Thank you all! Both my droid phone & wife's droid tablet stopped receiving Verizon/AOL Feb 22.  No problems on her PC or my OSX/IOS devices.  Almost ready to remove/re-install on Androids following advice above.  Question (I'm bit of protocol novice) is will the re-installion using POP instead of POP3 affect the stored server data (i.e. will we have to forward all this stuff to something like g-mail to still have access to old e-mails)?  Thanks for any advice.  Agree this was a stupid thing for Verizon/AOL to do with no notification to users, there must be millions of people with this problem.

0 Likes
Re: cannot connect safely to server
Sweeterpea

Thanks so much for your post.  I was on the verge of migrating my phones and internet to another provider.  

0 Likes
TacoBelle

Does anyone from Verizon really care about their customers? If this many people have had the same problem since Feb 22 (that's about the time my problem started too, though it took me a couple of days to notice it), then it's obviously something they have done and not their customers. It's about time (March 5) to fix it. DO YOU CARE VERIZON? Or are you just too big for us to matter? A sign of the times....

0 Likes
Re: Solution: Mobile phone incoming POP3 email stopped working, got it switched to pop.aol.com
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dryforkccwrote:

Thank you all! Both my droid phone & wife's droid tablet stopped receiving Verizon/AOL Feb 22.  No problems on her PC or my OSX/IOS devices.  Almost ready to remove/re-install on Androids following advice above.  Question (I'm bit of protocol novice) is will the re-installion using POP instead of POP3 affect the stored server data (i.e. will we have to forward all this stuff to something like g-mail to still have access to old e-mails)?  Thanks for any advice.  Agree this was a stupid thing for Verizon/AOL to do with no notification to users, there must be millions of people with this problem.

POP really means pop3 (early versions of POP  predate most people use of eMail).

You shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall.  If you do, you will not lose anything that is still on the server, but you will lose anything that you donwloaded to your android device.

@no idea why you started having trouble(I have had no trouble with mine), but the usual instructions apply.   Make sure you try adding @verizon.net to your email name.  Use SSL, pop.verizon.net port 995 for POP, and smtp.verizon.net Port 465 for SMTP.  Clear text password (SSL will protect it from being seen by snoopers). 

0 Likes
CindyH3

Thank you so much. That was the perfect solution for that problem.   It worked fine!

0 Likes
TacoBelle

You're lucky. Mine is still not working. Can't get anywhere. Nothing works. This stinks. Verizon stinks. They don't care.

0 Likes
NoNameCC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I submitted the following to AOL support via email on 2/27, and received the reply below a week later.  The reply doesn't say that the problem has been resolved, simply that they are aware and working on it.

"My GMail client on my phone stopped syncing my AOL/Verizon.net emails about a week ago. I have tried deleting the account and re-creating it, but when I choose the settings in your online help article, I get an error message saying "Can't safely connect to server. (Certificate hostname not useable for server: pop.verizon.net)
I have tried all four encryption options offered. Nothing works. 
I am using Android 6."

Their reply:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, however, there was an issue with our email service that may have caused the problems you are describing. At this time, that factor has been identified and is currently being addressed. While we cannot provide a specific time when the issue will be resolved, please be assured that our team is working to correct it as soon as possible.
Again, our apologies and thank you for your patience."

0 Likes
lumberjohn

This worked for me as well.

0 Likes
HutchJA

Thanks for this fix! I have been screwing around with this problem for weeks & this was finally the answer. Too bad between AOL & Verizon they can't help out their customers who pay their salaries. Great job!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
avallent

Thanks that  worked for me as well on my galaxy note 4 phone. However on my galaxy tab 4 adding pop settings manually in the samsung account email app will not bring the entire verizon login name from where you enter to the incoming pop info page. The login name there drops everything  from the @ on. 

0 Likes