email hacked
valduf

email is hacked and got erroneous email from Verizon can you verify it is legitimate?

No Verizon Banner incuded--looks like spam to me.

Date: Apr 30, 2014 7:12:16 AM
Subject: Important notice regarding account abuse
To: {edited for privacy}

Re:  Outbound email access suspended

Dear Verizon Online Customer,

This email is to alert you that we temporarily disabled your ability to send email using your Verizon Online (verizon.net) email account. This will not affect your ability to receive email, just your ability to send, and we expect your account's sending feature will only be disabled for about 24 hours.

We had to take this action because we detected that your account was used to send email in a manner that violates the Verizon Online Email Policy. We understand that you may be unaware that your email account is being used in this way, and ask that you follow the precautionary recommendations below. If you inadvertently sent email to more than 500 recipients in an hour, please see our email policy link at the bottom of this email.

As a precaution, and to hopefully keep this situation from continuing, there are several actions that we urge you to take immediately:

1. Update your anti-virus definitions. If you do not use anti-virus software and anti-spyware software, we strongly recommend that you purchase such software or use one of the free virus scanning services on the Internet. Anti-virus and anti-spyware products are available from Verizon Online and many other security software providers.

2. Scan your computer for viruses and spyware and keep your software up to date. Some viruses will install software which can grab your saved passwords and use them to send spam. Spyware can be installed onto your PC by a virus or by clicking a link on a malicious website. As with viruses, spyware may grab your passwords and use them to send spam. The best way to protect your computer and your personal information is to keep your anti-virus and anti-spyware software definitions up to date and to scan you computer frequently.

3. Change the passwords on your email and other online accounts. It is generally a good idea to change your passwords periodically. Changing your password once per month will help protect you from others who abuse accounts.

If you require assistance, please call Verizon Online Technical Support at 800-VERIZON800-VERIZON (800-837-4966800-837-4966).

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online Abuse Team
abuse@verizon.net

Verizon Online Email Policy
http://www2.verizon.net/policies

0 Likes
Re: email hacked
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks legit.  Don't click on anything but call them.

This forum is for PEER to PEER support.  You need to contact them, in this phone call is best.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

ps: let us know if it was legit or spam.

0 Likes
brunjest

I have been using verizon fios for about 10 years.  Have not had problems with email

over last week, I have been getting 100s of Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed .   I have been deleting them, I would look in my send folder and see NOTHING.  Have been using thunderbird client for email.

But this morning I got this email also.  Called verizon and they had me change email passwords.  

Also, for some reason I had been pointing at incoming.verizon.net/outgoing.verizon.net, but support had me change to pop.verizon.net/smtp.verizon.net.  Not sure why that.

I did click on a verizon speed test about one week back and even let it update the computer with settings.  I am speculating that this is what installed virus on my box.  I have Microsoft Security Essentials and it has detected nothing.

I too go this email this morning.

Dear Verizon Online Customer,

This email is to alert you that we temporarily disabled your ability to send email using your Verizon Online (verizon.net) email account. This will not affect your ability to receive email, just your ability to send, and we expect your account's sending feature will only be disabled for about 24 hours.

We had to take this action because we detected that your account was used to send email in a manner that violates the Verizon Online Email Policy. We understand that you may be unaware that your email account is being used in this way, and ask that you follow the precautionary recommendations below. If you inadvertently sent email to more than 500 recipients in an hour, please see our email policy link at the bottom of this email.

As a precaution, and to hopefully keep this situation from continuing, there are several actions that we urge you to take immediately:

1. Update your anti-virus definitions. If you do not use anti-virus software and anti-spyware software, we strongly recommend that you purchase such software or use one of the free virus scanning services on the Internet. Anti-virus and anti-spyware products are available from Verizon Online and many other security software providers.

2. Scan your computer for viruses and spyware and keep your software up to date. Some viruses will install software which can grab your saved passwords and use them to send spam. Spyware can be installed onto your PC by a virus or by clicking a link on a malicious website. As with viruses, spyware may grab your passwords and use them to send spam. The best way to protect your computer and your personal information is to keep your anti-virus and anti-spyware software definitions up to date and to scan you computer frequently.

3. Change the passwords on your email and other online accounts. It is generally a good idea to change your passwords periodically. Changing your password once per month will help protect you from others who abuse accounts.

If you require assistance, please call Verizon Online Technical Support at 800-VERIZON (800-837-4966).

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online Abuse Team
abuse@verizon.net

Verizon Online Email Policy
http://www2.verizon.net/policies   

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@brunjest wrote:

I have been using verizon fios for about 10 years.  Have not had problems with email

Also, for some reason I had been pointing at incoming.verizon.net/outgoing.verizon.net, but support had me change to pop.verizon.net/smtp.verizon.net.  Not sure why that.

I

• the older an email account the more likely someone will start abusing it.  Sending you spam or succeed in hacking it.
  • There was lots of email from verizon telling everyone for months to change to pop.verizon.net/smtp.verizon.net.  Also lots of discussion on these forums as many people had trouble making the changes correctly, and a few had software that wouldn't work with the changes. They weren't specific on what they changed on the new servers but said they were making changes to make email more secure.  The old servers are suppose to be being retired.
0 Likes
bruteforce1
Enthusiast - Level 3

well i guess verizon customers are just stuck with getting spam and spoofing emails.if verizon cannot control this no one can.

0 Likes
RUNYYFan

Up front: I only use Verizon for home telephone service. This message is in relation to a friend of mine whose e-mail account on verizon.net has been hacked serveral times over the last year and a half. I have asked him each time to set a significantly stronger password, but whatever the new password is consistently is hacked.

The most recent hack was this afternoon. I have recevied multiple e-mails from his account asking for the "undisclosed recipients" from his address book to login to the known hacker site H O T E L S N T R A V E L . I N F O . In replying to my friend's account to notify my friend that his account has been hacked, I have received responses from the account claiming to be him with obvious text that is not the way he writes.

Below, please find the WHOIS registration:

{edited for privacy}

With all of this, I have two questions: 

1) What steps need to be taken to ensure this website is locked down or at least limited?

2) Is there any method for verizon.net to at least connect with other verizon.net customers who have received this e-mail and possibly delete the e-mail? (Yeah, that's a stretch. I'll still ask.)

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes