There was no way I could get the 995 port working for incoming messages, no matter what I tried. Outgoing was fairly simple, however. My last time trying to set up Outlook 2010, I forgot to click "More Settings" before requesting a test and, sure enough, the incoming connection worked! I then checked More Settings and found that the default port 110 was used. I'm going to stick with that unless I'm given a very good reason to try another port.
There was no way I could get the 995 port working for incoming messages ... found that the default port 110 was used. I'm going to stick with that unless I'm given a very good reason to try another port.
I'm afraid that the "very good reason" (if indeed you experience it) will be security related and that could spell trouble. VZ is making changes on their serves primarily due to security and encryption requirements. Although the old settings still work in the majority of cases, they won't do so indefinitely. Also, along the way it's possible that lack of the prescribed security may result in some sort of attack on your machine. Not good.
FWIF I found that there were indeed a few minor issues with the changes but that the net result was worth the bother.
Did you select these settings as the product of an email from firstname.lastname@example.org?
I received email on one of my sub-accounts, subject "Action Required Now - Important Changes to your Verizon Email Account".
The specific instructions pertained to applications such as Outlook Express, MS Outlook, Windows Live Mail and/or hand-held devices. The settings suggested for inbound and outbound server were as you indicated.
I smelled a rat, as it were, and am reluctant to comply with this mailed instruction set because it came by way of the "raw" email address of a sub-account (as opposed to primary) and it seemed quite unlike verizon to communicate instructions like that in the format it was sent.
Your thoughts please? Is this some form of scam? Am I being paranoid (and even if I am, it doesn't mean they're not watching me ... 😆 ).
Did you select these settings as the product of an email from email@example.com? ... reluctant to comply with this mailed instruction set because it came by way of the "raw" email address of a sub-account ... and it seemed quite unlike verizon to communicate instructions like that in the format it was sent ... Am I being paranoid ...
The notification is legitimate. If you check elsewhere on these forums and search "email settings" or similar, you will find the same notice. I also got the same email and later confirmed it on the VZ pages.
Thank you for your advice. I checked it out and have verified the validity of the message.
Now I'll head down the path(s) to the black hole of techno-hell, checking and changing settings for any/all applications and devices.
Definitely not how I want to spend my time today or this weekend...
I've found that the instructions to set-up the new email servers was missing an important step.
After you go to "internet email settings", select "Advance" tab (at top right of window)
and enter the new port numbers and check "encrypted server connection".
You must also select the proper type of encryption, (SSL) from the drop-down menu located on the next line after the outgoing port selection.
After you hit "OK", your test message should be successful!
For what it's worth, it took me a moment, but I figured out how to get K9 for Android to work with the new required settings. The key was "SSL (If Avalable)" as the Security Type. I suspect Verizon has not actually turned on SSL yet.