iPhone - Can't get e-mail: The connection to the server "incoming.verizon.net" failed
11D_Universe1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've got an iPhone and am trying to set it up to access my Verizon email account directly.  I've set pop to incoming.verizon.net and smtp to outgoing.verizon.net.  The account and password are correct (entered several times) and SSL is turned off.

When I try to get email, I get a popup saying:  The connection to the server "incoming.verizon.net" failed.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

0 Likes
Re: iPhone - Can't get e-mail: The connection to the server "incoming.verizon.net" failed
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Hi 11D_Universe,

Try this: verify you can login to email on verizon.net with your current Verizon email username and password. If you can login successfully, then verify your  pop3 email settings in your iPhone. Be sure that where it asks for username, you only put in the username and not the complete email address and vice versa. Also incoming port should be 110 and outgoing should be 25 or 587. If you can't login to your email account on Verizon central then you may need to check/change your password. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Re: iPhone - Can't get e-mail: The connection to the server "incoming.verizon.net" failed
sproutko90

I am having the same problem as 11D_Universe - the difference is mine has worked perfectly for the last 9 months, and all of a sudden, doesn't work now.

I have followed Kim's instructions.  I can access my account on the web and am receiving e-mail on my home computer via Outlook Express - it's just not working on my iPhone.  My incoming and outgoing settings are as Kim suggests (they haven't changed since yesterday, when I was able to receive and send e-mail).  Ports are 110 and 587; SSL is off.

Suggestions?

0 Likes
matchpenalty

I am having the same issue after it working for over a year.  However, I cannot access the same via outlook or the web.  I access multiple accounts via all.  It is the PRIMARY VERIZON account that is the issue.  Secondary email accounts are working for me. 

Seems like there is a significant issue out there with all the posts here, but nothing on the main page to indicate what the issue is or the expected resolution.  I tried to give detailed info to a tech CSR, but I am not sure it is getting through.  All the tech would say is they hoped to have it solved within 48 hours.  (and he said that was a stock response).. 

0 Likes
matchpenalty

Kim,

This is a verizon issue.  Even if you had it working for ages, it is an issue with webmail, outlook AND iphone for my primary account.  They have all been working for a long time.  I can even add, when I went to try to access my account there were issues there too.  You can log in but then do NOTHING.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm sure they are well aware of the issue by now.  Between the forums lighting up and the tech support line.   From the looks of it, it's a backend authentication infrastructure issue -- because it affects every application which uses the Verizon SSO (same userid / password) across the board.

This should be a redundent component in their infrastructure -- so I'm thinking someone out there made a major "oops" and dropped a database table or something and their scrambling to restore it.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

If you are posting about the current Email outage, June 28, 2010 please go to the main thread and post.

0 Likes
jjg

Okay, sorry about being repetitive here but same problem with my new iPhone 4G. Email worked on my iPod as late as last week. I no longer have the iPod so I can't verify that. Anyway, Verizon has a problem. All set up steps were done correctly just as the rest of you have confirmed. I will call Verizon next to "Pile On" this problem.

0 Likes
Godflood82

The way I was able to get my Verizon.net account to work was to use "Yahoo!" as the account to add.  Input all your Verizon login info as normal. 

I tried and tried and tried to input my access information through "Other" and had no luck.  I just got off the phone with AT&T support and they said that "because Verizon supports blackberry that they don't allow iPhone to access Verizon email".  I thought that was garbage, so I just tried Yahoo on a whim and it worked.  Hopefully you'll have success

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well ... that comment from AT&T is a load of nonsense.  I can assure you that  a POP (not IMAP) connection to the Verizon servers can indeed be configured on the iPhone.   However, if you have the Yahoo! experience (which is sounds like you do), entering the Verizon mail servers wouldn't work, you need to get the servers from Yahoo!'s page that need to be added (or as you discovered, identify it as a Yahoo! account and the iPhone will figure that out itself).   Same thing applies if you use the AOL experience (except you need to use the AOL servers).