Migration to AOL
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

I've moved my account to AOL today.  Since my wife doesn't want hers switched for a couple of days, I wrote down notes for the transition.  Here are a few observations for those facing the migration.

1. Clicking on the link in notification e-mail takes you to a simple sign up page
  2. On that page, you enter your name, e-mail address, new password, set up a security question (father's middle name, mother's maiden name sort of thing).  My existing password wasn't accepted, no reason why given.  If you can keep your existing, it will be easier.  Easily half of my time was spent changing passwords.
  3. I added a Recovery E-mail account, which required the recovery account to receive an e-mail and me to click a link in it before allowing me to proceed.  I don't know if the recovery e-mail account is mandatory or not.
  4. The password took a while to get into system, so I ended up having to change it again.
  5. If you use a smartphone you will need to change your password on it.  The iPhone has two places - under Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server
  6. Change your password in your mail software (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc)
  7. My very simple folder structure (all 3 folders) transferred over intact.
  8. I tried sending tests from my work account to home, home account to work, etc. for all accounts.  All worked.
  9. Spam and Blocked Senders
    1. My custom spam filters did not make it through the transition.
    2. My blocked senders did migrate with me.
    3. My safe senders did migrate with me.
    4. Curiously, the AOL Spam Filter caught one of the AOL "Welcome" e-mails.

On the whole it wasn't too bad.  The entire process took about 30 minutes.  While I would have preferred to spend that time doing something else, it wasn't as bad as has been imagined by some in the forum.

Good luck with your migrations!

j_m

Re: Transition to AOL - order of implementation?
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

BSlaydon1218:

Yes, they are migrating.  It appears that they are only moving some at any given point, so your parents having gotten an e-mail while you have not is quite feasible.  Read the thread above for more details.

j_m

0 Likes
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

Spanky 859:

They aren't cancelling your account, just moving it to use their AOL e-mail system.  You will be allowed to keep your verizon.net e-mail address if you want.

Please see the "initiate-migration-to-AOL-Mail?" thread for more details.

j_m

0 Likes
Re: Is my Verizon email account going away
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

goingsoon:

It's not going away, but Verizon is migrating the verizon.net e-mail accounts to the AOL Mail system.  You will be allowed to keep your verizon.net e-mail address if you want.

Please see the "initiate-migration-to-AOL-Mail?" thread for more details.

j_m

0 Likes
Re: Migration to AOL
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

One more thought . . . Migrating makes this forum superfluous.  I will be gone soon.

j_m

0 Likes
Lulu1971
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dave_NOVA -

Thanks for the information.  Very helpful!  I was getting ready to call myself -- "the dreaded Verizon call" -- and you have saved me the effort.  Looks like I just need to wait...

0 Likes
Lulu1971
Enthusiast - Level 2

james_marshall-- Thanks for posting.  This was also helpful and somewhat reassuring.  Guess I'll just have to wait... 

0 Likes
amich1

I migrated 1 of my 2 e-mail account to AOL.  What I noticed is I lost anything in my Drafts folder. All other folders seem fine.

Frustrating, as I'm not positive what was in there, but I know I had one draft I was working on it where it took my a long time to track down the e-mail address to send to, and since I was only going to use it once, I didn't write down or save that address anywhere else.  Now I have to track that e-mail address down again.

I apparently will have to check my 2nd e-mail account's Drafts folder before I transfer it to make sure there isn't anything I need in it.

0 Likes
johnnyzero
Enthusiast - Level 3

For those who are opting to switch over to AOL, I created a userstyle that will remove all the annoying ads in AOL Webmail. It's compatible with Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera.

https://userstyles.org/styles/128796/aolmail-noads

Note: To use this, you'll need to install an extension called Stylish.

Re: initiate migration to AOL Mail?
CostMoreForLess

The cost of the service keeps going up but now the service is less. Already cut cost by lowering what package we had but kept the basic items - now Fios is cutting the basic items - Is this the time to shop around????

0 Likes