Verizon Did A Horrible Disservice To It's Internet Customers Dumping Them All On AOL E Mail
AceMcHammer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon did a horrible disservice to it's internet customers dumping them on AOL. If you have internet service through Verizon why would Verizon not provide E Mail with that service? Doesn't Comcast provide E Mail for it's internet customers?

AOL is a terrible E Mail serivce. They make their revenue through either monthly subscriptions or through ad revenue from ads that pops up when you go to access your mail. When you go to AOL.Mail tons of CPU stressing video ads pop up practically freezing your PC. You bascially have to wait for all the advertising to load before you can even access your mail! It's really bad.

So then you say, just use a desktop E Mail client to fetch your mail from AOL like Microsoft Outlook. Which is exactly what I have been doing all along even before Verizon dumped AOL on me. But recently, there have been problems when fetching E Mail through Outlook or through other E Mail clients I have on my Linux machine. I keep getting security certificate errors and can't retreive or send mail. I suspect AOL does not like their "free account" E Mail users, like the ones Verizon dumped on them (us guys), using their free E Mail service and going around their ad displays via their desktop E Mail clients. Thanks Verizon. Now it seems I have to hunt for a new E Mail service and go one by one through all my tens of accounts out there that have my Verizon.net E Mail address set as my primary E Mail address, and even set as account user names, when a reliable E Mail service should very well be included with my Verizon Internet service.

Re: Verizon Did A Horrible Disservice To It's Internet Customers Dumping Them All On AOL E Mail
Angryuser1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have felt this way from the beginning of Verizon dumping their email customers.  Using AOL since it happened has not made me any happier.  I have started moving my email to another service.  Shame on Verizon.

Re: Verizon Did A Horrible Disservice To It's Internet Customers Dumping Them All On AOL E Mail
wmhjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are absolutely correct in every respect.  My Verizon.Net email address is only one of my email accounts, but I've had it for 10 years.  Frankly, it's the only thing that has made me "sticky" to Verizon - given that it's just really a pain to completely move everything.  However, I've had outage after outage since the migration.  There was a complete outage that prevented ANY access this past Saturday through Sun evening.  Then intermittent outages yesterday.  Today, I can get to my mail only via webmail.  None of my devices can authenticate in through POP.  Calling support has been a complete and total waste of time.  There isn't even a way at the moment to change my password.  Quite frankly, I've decided that enough is enough.  I use Tivos for my TV viewing, so I don't care whatsoever about equipment.  I'm about to ditch Verizon Fios.  I don't care if picture quality might be slightly better, and if broadband might be slightly better.  I only need good enough, and as a new customer my rates will go down.  I'm tired of paying to allow Verizon effectively steal from me and treat me like crap.  If I have to completely migrate off of the verizon.net email address anyway, it just gave me a final reason to take ALL of my business to somebody else.

jonjones1
Legend

This may assist you. https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-setting-up-your-new-aol-account-in-a-third-pa...

There is a link for pop3 email settings. As I said in the other forum post you could get a better email service (that is your decision) like GMail or Outlook Mail in which if you can get your poo mail settings correct you can set up the Verizon/AOL to be grabbed by the other two services.

my mother in law has road runner mail and it’s not reliable. I set her up with GMail and now her road runner/ Charter Spectrum email is always in her mailbox.

i even set a different color for her rr mail from her GMail.

Hopefully you like this reply. 🤨

0 Likes
wmhjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Um, believe me, I've gone over every aspect of the POP mail settings to try and troubleshoot this.  Port assignments, incoming/outgoing mail servers, SSL, etc are all correctly configured.  Let's be more clear.  Without me changing a darned thing - sometimes it works for a while.  Then it just stops.  Period.  Then later it will start again. This is NOT - repeat NOT - a client side configuration issue.  This IS- repeat IS - completely an AOL platform issue where they cannot seem to manage a 20 year old service that has become effectively a commodity like email.  And that means Verizon, since Verizon bought AOL, created the whole "Oath" fiasco (so they can sell our content and claim it's to make things "better") and then shoved their customers over to the garbage pile that is AOL.

As I've also said already, I do have other email addresses.  I was one of the very first to get a gmail address back in the very early 2000's.  However, there is still mail that comes into this account.  Responding to it from another account can result it in being classified as spam as a result of various reverse DNS lookups and other anti-spam techniques.  I would prefer to not create yet more issues than have already been created by this mess.

0 Likes
hughj1

I thought I was one of the "lucky ones" as my Verizon email was through YAHOO and I was not (yet) forced to switch; but in the recent months, YAHOO email has gotten sluggish and not working nearly as well as before.  Not sure what the cause is.  I too have multiple emails, but Verizon is the prime and am not yet willing to "throw in the towel".

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

QUOTE:

Responding to it from another account can result it in being classified as spam as a result of various reverse DNS lookups and other anti-spam techniques.  I would prefer to not create yet more issues than have already been created by this mess.

The mail received at the other account cannot be relayed through the respective GMail or Outlook account as replies. My mother in law gets those errors all the time because she doesn’t change to her rr mail account when sending or forwarding. But when she selects the proper account (GMail or Outlook) it will forward with no problem. But she cannot send roadrunner mail from her roadrunner account from GMail or Outlook because that would be relaying which is not allowed.

you can set up the emails to use the reply to as Verizon, AOL, or Yahoo. 

It seems to work for her.

0 Likes
wmhjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I could do that, I wouldn't need to do that. 

The problem is that at the moment, I have zero pop3 access to my mail - period.  It is now going on 16 hours.  There was an outage of over 26 hours this weekend.  Then sporadic outages yesterday.  It is truly amazing just how bad AOL/Oath/Verizon is.

0 Likes
TwoTankAmin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon/Oath/AOL can no longer be trusted at all for anything. I will be leaving AOL email soon for one that will not read my emails . I email lawyers, accountants, my doctors etc. Do you think any sane person will allow Verizon for read all their emails? Well I am not that crazy.

And I suggest users who get their net access from Verizon also look into a good VPN to block Verizon from tracking every move you make and using that data to do who knows what. The least we as users/consumers can do is instead of giving away our personal information without a thought is to try making it as hard as possible to be collected.

Verizonseems to want to be at the top of the list of those whose main goal is an invasion of user privacy in order to take our personal data for their profit. And this even after we are paying customers unlike Google of Facebook etc. users who get it for "free."

I suggest users investigate Proton email or similar companies. Consider using a VPN like ExpressVPN if you want to help protect yourself and your privacy.

I say all of the above having been a Verizon shareholder since before they were called Verizon. I say the above in a household that has used the verizon FIOS tripple play for the last 6 years.

BAD JOB VERIZON but true to form- the customer always seems to come last except when it's time to pay the bill.

scpo
Enthusiast - Level 1

AOL is the most horrible email service.  I use a site that uses two step login.  If I use AOL email it takes an average of 1hour and 20 minutes to get the message.  When I use google or YAHOO or my cell phone it takes less than 1 minute, or at most 1minute and 40 seconds.  They force you to pay because their ads will drive you insane.  No mass forwarding and I get at least 2 errors a day and need to logout and then back in again.  I have had my Verizon email address since at least 1990 but probably before that.  I gave up AOL and moved to Verizon.  I know verizon does not care but I am going to move my primary email and cancel AOL

0 Likes