non-verizon email accounts
Lplus13

Please excuse the ignorance in this question, I 'm not up on the phraseology for what my problem is. I am trying to set up my small business email account and have just switched from comcast to verizon. I realize I need to change my outgoing server (SMTP) to ensure I can send email. I recieve it fine through 1and1, whom I use for my email accounts and web space. So my incoming server is pop.1and1.com and I have changed my SMTP to outgoing.verizon.net (I've also tried smtp.verizon.net) However I cannot connect to the outgoing mail server. I changed the outgoing port setting to 587 (from 25)...am I missing a step to solve this problem...

0 Likes
Re: non-verizon email accounts
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

1and1 provides outgoing SMTP services on port 587.   So, you want to use smtp.1and1.com as your outgoing server and port 587 as your port.   You will probably also need to check the advanced settings box and find the setting for the outbound mail server which says something like "My outbound server requires me to login" and enable that.

http://faq.1and1.com/e_mail/setting_up_email_clients_like_ms_outlook_outlook_express_and_netscape_ma...

Re: non-verizon email accounts (1and1)
GuyD2

I, too, had many issues with outgoing email using 1and1 accounts/smtp.1and1.com/port 587.  I resolved this after 6 chats and phone calls with 1and1 and Verizon.  Here is the work around. In Outlook or Android:  Outgoing mail server is smtp.verizon.net.   in the outgoing server tab check the 'My outgoing (SMTP) requires  authenication; check logon using your 'my account@verizon.net' email and your password.  On the last tab change port to 465 and SSL;   Incoming should be 995 and SSL.   My email has been working fine since.

0 Likes
Re: non-verizon email accounts (1and1)
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over five years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes