Re: outgoing mail unable to connect to server
GusL
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem with Tbird - stopped sending outgoing mail as of 3/1/2018.  I was able to fix it by going into my TB account settings and adding @verizon.net to my username for both the outgoing server and in the (incoming) server settings.  I also changed the outgoing server name to smtp.aol.com.  (When I tried the latter earlier, without changing the username, it didn't help.  Changing the username too made it work for me).

G

Re: Problem with SMTP outgoing email Verizon/AOL Customers
Herd1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Many thanks for the instructions here.  My email stopped sending on Friday and I could find NO help from AOL on this.  I just stumbled on this forum.  I did exactly what you suggested and it looks like my email is working again.  

0 Likes
Re: SMTP server timing out - can not send emails out
Herd1
Enthusiast - Level 2

You may have already seen this post, but in case not, I followed another poster's instructions and my outgoing server is back up. Here's what he wrote (and I did)

"In my email settings, I did the following:

using my Verizon.net email.

Incoming Mail Server: pop.verizon.net

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com

Logon Info: AOL account email and password"

My port is set to 465.  After I made all these changes and tried to send an email, my computer asked for my AOL password.  I entered it and the message sent.

Good luck! 

0 Likes
FWEhr
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks to all who posted descriptions of their changes to work around AOL's mis-step. With your advice I now seem to have outgoing mail working again, using Tbird 52.6. The changes I made to Outgoing server settings were:

• Appended '@verizon.net' to both Description and User Name field
  • Changed Server Name to 'smtp.aol.com'

[in both cases of course, not including those single quotes] The change to Description was probably unnecessary but no harm.

Once again the Verizon forums help other customers in ways that Verizon's own staff cannot, and you avoid the torture of many minutes on hold with suicide-inducing endless "music"! 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its been reported that SOME of the AOL servers uses for Verizon ids are using a certificate chain that incorrectly resolves.  I haven't seen this myself.  So if you happen to catch one it fails.  Hopefully the next time you get one with a valid chain.  And hopefully someone at AOL is working on resolving this if its really true.

Since the servers are now hosting more then just users from Verizon.net, the need for adding @verizon.net has been true for most of us for more than a year.  Otherwise it cannot resolve userid@verizon.net and userid@aol.com, etc. So those who are just hitting this having looked through most of the solutions posted in this and other forums.

0 Likes
Solution: Problem with SMTP outgoing email Verizon/AOL Customers
Allen110
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured out to make my outgoing SMTP work better...

I am using microsoft office pro plus with outlook 2010.

In my email settings, I did the following:

using my Verizon.net email.

Incoming Mail Server: pop.verizon.net

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com

Logon Info: AOL account email and password.

so far everything works good...

This should work for most other email programs.

0 Likes
Mungoman
Enthusiast - Level 1

A member on this forum solved this for me. Gonna thank him as soon as I

find him again on this forum.

I was not receiving emails using Outlook since 2-19-18. Was getting the security

certificate not valid error. All I did was go into Outlook account settings and change the incoming mail server from pop.verizon.net to incoming.verizon.net. Then closed outlook and restarted. Bam all my emails strated pouring in

0 Likes
BakingDude

I use Outlook Express to normally send email via my vz email account which was switched to AOL almost a year ago.  It has worked fine until a week ago, and since then I get "Socket Error" when trying to send emails.  This is the first thread I have found that confirms others are having issues *sending* email.  I had tried adding the domain, but not changing the server.  My settings are EXACTLY as AOL has on a help page somewhere for VZ email accounts.  I will try the array of solutions above (server, port, add domain) but this STINKS.  Why haven't we been notified of a solution?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mungomanwrote:

A member on this forum solved this for me. Gonna thank him as soon as I

find him again on this forum.

I was not receiving emails using Outlook since 2-19-18. Was getting the security

certificate not valid error. All I did was go into Outlook account settings and change the incoming mail server from pop.verizon.net to incoming.verizon.net. Then closed outlook and restarted. Bam all my emails strated pouring in

Not a recommended solution as they were suppose to delete that URL. 

They happen at the moment to resolve to totally different servers, one an AOL and one a yahoo server when I look them up using Opendns.  Interestingly the correct name is the one that now resolves to yahoo.

> nslookup

> incoming.verizon.net.
Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    pop-verizonmail.egslb.aol.com
Address:  64.12.88.168
Aliases:  incoming.verizon.net

> pop.verizon.net

Name:    global-jpop-aol.mail.gm0.yahoodns.net
Addresses:  98.136.97.57
Aliases:  pop.verizon.net

> smtp.verizon.net

Name:    smtp-verizonmail.egslb.aol.com
Address:  152.163.35.8
Aliases:  smtp.verizon.net

0 Likes
Edison-99vs1

After many attempts, I found a solution that worked for me (Outlook 365 and iPhone 6).  I changed the outgoing server  to smtp.aol.com, made sure that the user name had @verizon.net, and for Outlook under More Setting...Outgoing Server ..selected Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication and then selected use the same settings as incoming server

0 Likes