outgoing mail unable to connect to server
Billy821
Enthusiast - Level 2

After solving the problem of receiving mail, I now am getting the same error message in trying to send email: cannot safely coect to server. 

Using Samsung Android email app thats with the phone. Can send email through AOL and Mac Mail on home computer no problem.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: outgoing mail unable to connect to server
ChipChairman1

My wife and were having the same problem.

I used this to reconfigure my outlook profile.

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-setting-up-your-new-aol-account-in-a-third-pa...

0 Likes
email server not responding
kaleidic

I use Thunderbird to access my email. Until yesterday afternoon, everything was OK then the smtp.verizon.net server started timing out and I can not send emails. The pop server for incoming messages is fine. I went over it and over it with AOL on twitter and then they sent me a phone number to call, and they persist in claiming that there is no problem. Thunderbird error message is failure due to timing out. Telnet and ping show the same.

C:\Users\Jason>telnet smtp.verizon.net 465
Connecting To smtp.verizon.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 465: Connect failed

C:\Users\Jason>ping smtp.verizon.net

Pinging smtp-verizonmail.egslb.aol.com [64.12.88.168] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.12.88.168:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

0 Likes
Re: email server not responding
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has moved email to AOL servers.

Google FiOS AOL email for details.

kaleidic

I know that, that's who gave me the runaround and who want me to pay for support.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
Re: outgoing mail not working
perryg1

Verizon send email stopped workin 3/1/18.  Was using smtp.verizon.net.  Any ideas why?

0 Likes
Grybo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing happened to me.

The outgoing mail server appears to have changed to smtp.aol.com.  The new address for the Pop3 server is pop.aol.com, though  pop.verizon.net is still working for the time being.

Outgoing email
paulsidcup

I kept my verizon email address after transition to AOL.  Incoming mail works well now.  Outgoing mail worked well until 02/02/2018 when I started getting a message "The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.verizon.net timed out. Try again."  My settings are Server name:  smtp.verizon.net ;  Port: 365 ;  Connection Security:  SSL/TLS ;  Authentication Method:  Normal Password.  I have tried Port 587 and STARTTLS;  and Encrypted Password.  Nothing works.

0 Likes
Decusgeek1

Okay, so I see that smtp.verizon.net stopped working around 3/1/18 and that the new SMTP server is supposed to be smtp.aol.com. Unfortunately neither one responds to a ping comand. Why not and what now?

0 Likes