port 587 - who is lying (the winner has lost my business)
BillBrent
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm trying to send Email - have been doing is since before the @ sign (thanks BBN).

I am connected to the internet via fios.

I have been sending email using my Earthlink accounts with no issue.

3 weeks ago - this stopped working.

fios support tells me that Earthlink is blocking port 587 inbound

Earthlink support tells me that fios is blocking port 587 outbound

one is lying - and that's the one I'm cancelling.

here's a clue - If I dial into AOL - I can send mail via earthlink.

not definitive, but it does point me in the direction of Time Warner for

next month's billing!

0 Likes
Re: port 587 - who is lying (the winner has lost my business)
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon actively uses port 587, so what you want to find out is WHAT exactly earthlink uses.  earthlink may not use 587 at all. 

When I google outgoing yahoo smtp port number I get this helpful link.   Give it a shot. 

My ISP blocks port 25, and I can't send mail. What can I do?

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/smallbusiness/bizmail/pop/pop-32.html

In an attempt to control unsolicited email (spam), some Internet service providers now block port 25, which means you could experience technical problems when sending email. If you are having trouble sending email, you may need to use port 465 (recommended) or 587 when sending email via Yahoo!'s SMTP server. (If your Internet connection is provided by AT&T or one of AT&T's partners, please read about AT&T's alternative SMTP settings.)

try sending on that one.

That alone should hopefully fix it, you may have to resort to using a combo setting.

so it would look like this

pop.mail.yahoo.com

outgoing.verizon.net   (use the setting that says "my server requires authentication" and enter your VZ user name and password in that field)   you may have to use the self help option at verizon.net if you don't remember your user/pass

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is likely that Earthlink is NOT using port 587 for mail, but instead is still using port 25.  Verizon is blocking port 25 because it is the standard method the most all malware spambots use to generate outgoing mail -- shutting down just this port cuts loads of spam off of the network.

What you probably wantto do is instead use Verizon's SMTP servers (on port 587) to send your outbound mail instead of Earthlink's.   You can still set the "reply-to" field to be your Earthlink account address if you want to have any replies come back to that address.  Verizon is not blocking POP3 or IMAP traffic, so you can still retrieve your inbound email directly from Earthlink's servers.

BillBrent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Earthlink is using 587 - this has worked for a year and a half. - Eudora does not allow for different login's (one for in and one for out). I will not use outlook - my little stand against Microsoft controling everything. - so - I have to change something. my email client, or the way I've been sending email for 12 years. Or I can go back to time warner, a really awful company, but its cheaper, and since they are an Earthlink partner, I can use my standard email tools and settings.  

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@BillBrent wrote:

Earthlink is using 587 - this has worked for a year and a half. - Eudora does not allow for different login's (one for in and one for out). I will not use outlook - my little stand against Microsoft controling everything. - so - I have to change something. my email client, or the way I've been sending email for 12 years. Or I can go back to time warner, a really awful company, but its cheaper, and since they are an Earthlink partner, I can use my standard email tools and settings.  

Might I suggest Thunderbird as an alternate pop3 client? It's open source, free, and not a Microsoft product. 😉

Other than that, Verizon is not blocking port 587, but maybe you have a router or local firewall rule set up that's causing problems. Have you tried temporarily disabling any security software to see if that allows you to send? Or resetting your router to factory defaults?

ksg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Many Loa PowerTools users are Eudora users, and LPT does need you to separate incoming from outgoing server. I don't have a copy handy, but I think the setting is hidden in something called "esoteric settings" or some such. Don't know why they thought that it was esoteric to want to set your outgoing server (or its port), but that's their call I guess.

Other LPT users use Thunderbird because it is a bit easier to set up.

0 Likes