Re: problems sending email - what authentication is needed??
knitpurl

8:00 a.m. in suburban DC Friday morning and the problem *does* still exist. Does anybody know how to contact Verizon directly?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@knitpurl wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem you guys are having. It started September 25th. I use Eudora 7.1 and Windows XP and am in metropolitan DC (Maryland). Has anybody been able to contact Verizon? (I haven't figured out how to contact Verizon.) Is it happening only to Eudora users?

They probably have started turning off the old servers. 

The initial contacts for VERIZON are almost always the same, 1-800-Verizon or use one of the contactus options.  However good luck finding someone familiar with Eudora.  There is not a problem with the verzon servers.

Search the forums on Eudora.  Several people have had problems.  And some have figured out how to fix them.  Obviously first must get the recommended http://verizon.com/emailsettings correct.  But some have discussed having to actually update the EUDORA scripts, etc. after getting the other settings correct.  And for many of these client services, you must make sure they are restarted.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>tns_2: They probably have started turning off the old servers.

From what I can tell from those who have posted about the recent problems with Eudora, all of us have updated to the "new" server settings so I don't think the issue is with using outdated server settings.

Late Wednesday evening (10/2/13), I was able to successfully send out an email from Eudora with no authentication error and this success continued through Thursday (10/3/13) with all of the emails going out with no authentication errors; however, today (Friday 10/4/13), the first email I sent out of Eudora gave me the authentication error. I went to my Eudora OUTbox, double clicked on the problematic email, clicked the Send button and the email was successfully sent. The next email I sent went through with no problems.

I know Eudora is long in the tooth but I like it--I also use Thunderbird which has had no problems so far--and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever the problem is will be resolved and that Eudora will continue to work as it always has.

>>tns_2: There is not a problem with the verzon servers.

I don't think that can be said definitively. The fact that this problem is affecting a number of different Eudora users from different areas of the country seems to me to indicate an issue on the Verizon end rather than on the user end.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@tlb wrote:

>>tns_2: They probably have started turning off the old servers.

>>tns_2: There is not a problem with the verzon servers.

I don't think that can be said definitively. The fact that this problem is affecting a number of different Eudora users from different areas of the country seems to me to indicate an issue on the Verizon end rather than on the user end.

Yep, you can't make any definitive statements, but it's more likely the Eurdora client with the issue since there haven't been the magnitude of complaints with those using other email clients.

There is probably some esoteric SMPT standard that Eudora is not implementing in a way that plays well with the Verizon servers. 

Has anybody actually gotten any information about this from the Eudora developers?  Just curious...

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>pjl: Has anybody actually gotten any information about this from the Eudora developers?  Just curious...

I don't think Eudora is being developed any longer. I know there was a new version/update that came out a few years ago but I never got around to installing it after doing the download because version 7.1 worked just fine. Guess I should take a browse around to see if any further development is going on and maybe I also need to scrounge around in my download folder and find that newer version...'-}}

0 Likes
jfadden
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will add to my previous post that I am also located in the Washington DC suburbs (Maryland).   It seems many (all but one?) of those having problems are in the DC area.  Perhaps a server that serves this area is a problem? Or does Verizon have that high a concentration of customers in this area?

BTW I am using Eudora 7.1 which was the last commercial version before Qualcomm stopped further development.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@jfadden wrote:

I will add to my previous post that I am also located in the Washington DC suburbs (Maryland).   It seems many (all but one?) of those having problems are in the DC area.  Perhaps a server that serves this area is a problem? Or does Verizon have that high a concentration of customers in this area?

BTW I am using Eudora 7.1 which was the last commercial version before Qualcomm stopped further development.

Well there you go.  It's an old, unsupported product that APPEARS to not have kept up with the times.  Sorry.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>jfadden: It seems many (all but one?) of those having problems are in the DC area.

Let's see:

1. Users "clampguy" and "kopler888"--both in this thread--never said where they are located

2. User "en01" in the thread "pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net not working" appears to have the same problem--I posted a suggestion in that thread--and I don't know where s/he is located

3. User "ge_315" is in upstate NY--see this thread and thread "send e-mail, intermittent authenication error"

4. Users "knitpurl", "skigal", "jfadden" (you) and "tlb" (me...'-}}) are in the DC metro area--either MD or VA

Not sure what it indicates other than we are all on the east coast...'-}}

I've only had 1 authentication error today (Friday 10/4/13) and all the rest of my Eudora (version 7.1, Win7/Pro) emails have gone out on first Send so it's a bit better than it has been but I don't know if that's just luck...

0 Likes
kaytabor30
Enthusiast - Level 3

Note: it is Mozilla's understanding that Qualcomm is no longer developing Eudora OSE. Furthermore, the last released version is based on an old version of Thunderbird which is no longer supported, and has known security issues. Current or potential users of Eudora OSE might like to try Thunderbird as an alternative email program, although of course the user interface and features of the two programs are not the same.

0 Likes
kaytabor30
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes