Re: problems sending email - what authentication is needed??
knitpurl

About inserting the line in the .ini file: A couple of us are not familiar with altering configuration files and are wondering if it makes a difference where that line is inserted under Settings. Also, I've got several Personalities, and I presume the line gets inserted with the settings for each Personality?

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>jfadden: Thanks for clarifying my reply tlb. I must have copied over the esoteric.epi folder years ago and forgotten about it, and thus took it for granted that the port option would be present for all users.

You are welcome...I only found out about esoteric.epi when Verizon made the last set of server changes so it's a bit fresher in my mind than in yours...'-}}

>>I would also add that the "main Eudora folder" is the one containing Eudora.exe which is not always the same folder as that containing eudora.ini, depending on how you have you mail folders set up.

Yeah...it's a bit tricky to talk about--I never install my software in Windows default location and I've always setup  my Eudora mail into its own folder which makes things easier to back up. I'll remember to ref "the folder with eudora.exe" in the future as that's a very good way to clarify which folder.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>knitpurl: About inserting the line in the .ini file: A couple of us are not familiar with altering configuration files and are wondering if it makes a difference where that line is inserted under Settings. Also, I've got several Personalities, and I presume the line gets inserted with the settings for each Personality?

I had the exact same question when I took a look at eurdora.ini (I used Notepad to do that by the way) because I have a number of different Eudora Personalities defined and I also use a Relay Personality (my Verizon account) because my dominant Eudora Personality is not my Verizon email account.

In the end, I decided to add "SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5" in the [Settings] section, just below the existing line "SmtpAuthAllowed=1" and everything has been working just fine--I think the [Settings] section contains basically "global" values for all Eudora Personalities...

Hope that helps...

0 Likes
skigal

Hi everyone. Skigal here...

I continue to have problems sending mail. I added the port numbers as described (thanks for the details on the esoteric.epi file). I still had problems, and decided to go ahead and edit my eudora.ini file. But guess what? I don't have a eudora.ini file! Instead I have one called "deudora.ini". I added the supposedly magic line to the Settings section, but still get errors. I'm about to give up completely and just use Gmail (which I've configured to feed my Verizon mail as well as my Gmail), although I'm not thrilled with the Gmail interface...

0 Likes
knitpurl

Skigal, I might have an answer for you.

My Eudora.ini file is in one folder and my deudora.ini file is in another folder, so at first when I found the deudora.ini file I thought I didn't have a eudora.ini file. Later, I found it.

This may be basic to the rest of you, but it was a revelation to me. For the deudora.ini file, I went to My Computer | Local Disk (C:) | Program Files | Qualcomm | Eudora | a list of files that included deudora.ini but not eudora.ini.

For the eudora.ini file, open Eudora and click on Help | About Eudora . . . | then at the bottom of the box there is a "Data" line followed by an "Application" line. Click on the word "Data" and on the screen that comes up, the very last file is eudora.ini.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>skigal: and decided to go ahead and edit my eudora.ini file. But guess what? I don't have a eudora.ini file! Instead I have one called "deudora.ini".

User "knitpurl" said: "My Eudora.ini file is in one folder and my deudora.ini file is in another folder, so at first when I found the deudora.ini file I thought I didn't have a eudora.ini file. Later, I found it."

Do you have Eudora installed in just one master folder (this would be the "standard" installation approach with all of the Eudora subfolders and files in one folder)?

I have my Eudora "data" in a separate folder--makes it easier to backup--so my "eudora.ini" file is in that other (data) folder. If you have your Eudora "data" in another folder, then you need to look there to find the "eudora.ini" file.

To check if you have a separate "data" file:

1. Open Eudora

2. Help > About Eudora and you will see a "Data" entry and an "Application" entry--at least I see both because I have my Eudora "data" in a separate folder. To find "eudora.ini", look in the folder specified by the "Data" entry.

The above stated, I also found the following info that I hope might be helpful:

I did a browser search on "deudora.ini" (no quotes) and found that it is actually a legitimate file for Eudora, see:

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/ini.html

"When an entry in the EUDORA.INI file is not found, Eudora will look in the DEUDORA.INI file located in the same directory as the EUDORA.EXE file. The [Mappings] section of the DEUDORA.INI file behaves as though it were appended to the end of the [Mappings] section of the EUDORA.INI file."

See also:

http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/7.1/Readme.txt

"3. Otherwise, if there's a DEudora.ini file in the program folder, and if the [Settings] section of that file contains a DataFolder setting, and if the folder specified by that setting contains a Eudora.ini file, then Eudora uses that folder."

I might try the following:

1. Close Eudora

2. Backup your existing "deudora.ini" file by copying it someplace else

3. RENAME your original (Eudora) "deudora.ini" file to "eudora.ini"--I did find references that you can have both "deudora.ini" and "eudora.ini" but personally, I'd try this approach so that there is only "eudora.ini" available.

4. Open Eudora and send a test email--if Eudora won't open or you have problems, then copy the backup copy of "deudora.ini" back to its original location and delete the renamed "eudora.ini"

If renaming "deudora.ini" to "eudora.ini" doesn't work, you might try the following:

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1929hq.html

"How to reset your settings

Eudora allows you to reset your settings while retaining your Internet Service Provider information.

To reset your settings, hold down the SHIFT and CTRL keys. With your mouse, go to the TOOLS menu and select OPTIONS. You should see this dialog box:

Warning: When you reset your settings, only the information listed below is retained:

• Login name and the name of your POP server*
  • Your SMTP host*
  • Your return address*
  • Your real name*
  • Your ACAP server
  • Your registration information

* These settings are saved for each personality."

Last Resort?

Apparently if Eudora does not find either "deudora.ini" or "eudora.ini", it will automatically create a new "eudora.ini" file. If you copy your existing "deudora.ini" file someplace safe, you could delete it from its original (Eudora) location, open Eudora--apparently it will ask about creating a new account so you could create what will turn out to be a dummy account--close Eudora, edit the copied/backed-up "deudora.ini" file and the new "eudora.ini" file copying from the pertinent bits from "deudora" to "eudora".

Let us know what happens...

0 Likes
knitpurl

tlb---I've added the "SMTPAuthBanished" line where you said to, but was still having the problem. So I looked closely at my very long list of settings and discovered that there's a different group of (repeat) settings for each of my personalities. I added the line to the settings for each personality, and as of the trial messages I've sent since, all is (seems to be) well.

Whew.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>knitpurl:  I added the line to the settings for each personality, and as of the trial messages I've sent since, all is (seems to be) well.

I was going to do that too and then decided to see if it would work with just the single entry I mentioned in my other post.Fortunately, it did do the trick so, I didn't try adding it to other places. I'm glad that adding the command to each Personality did the trick for you.

Do you have a Relay Personality defined? I do because my Eudora Dominant Personality is not my Verizon email address. I have another Personality defined for my Verizon email and I set that (Verizon) Personality as my Relay Personality so maybe that's why I only had to enter "SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5" in one place?

0 Likes
knitpurl

No, I don't use a Relay Personality. Your explanation of the difference between what you had to do and what I had to do is probably correct. (Update: am still free of the problem at the origin of this forum.)

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>knitpurl: No, I don't use a Relay Personality. Your explanation of the difference between what you had to do and what I had to do is probably correct.

If I'm remembering correctly, user "jfadden" also uses a Relay Personality and just entered the command one time in [Settings]. It would be interesting to find out if anyone using a Relay Personality needed to enter the command for each Personality as you had to.

>>(Update: am still free of the problem at the origin of this forum.)

YAY!!! '-}}

0 Likes