Re: problems sending email - what authentication is needed??
Jani6

How do I get to Eudora ini? I can't find it anywhere!!

0 Likes
MarkK3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hopefully someone will see this at the end of this long comment stream.  I am happy that the proposed solution (altering the CRAM-MD5 line in the eudora.ini file) works for Windows users, but I am a Mac OSX Eudora 6.2.4 user, and there is no eudora.iu.i fole.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Likes
Jani6

Thank heavens, I found the file and added the info and can now send emails again. It's only taken 4 hours of my precious time off to do that!! Thanks to all of those who made this possible by sharing the information! 

0 Likes
MarlonB
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's interesting that there's a gap in this thread from 10/25/13 to 8/1/14. I noticed the problem at 5am Brooklyn, NY time today (8/2/14). I think I fixed it. I went to Program Files(x86)/Qualcomm/Eudora. Saw a file called "deudora" with no extension but type "Configuration settings." I added the magic line: SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5, and it seems that I can once again send mail.  My thanks to the previous contributors to this thread -- and no thanks at all to Verizon.

JohnPaulJames

I suddenly experienced the authentication problem on Friday evening.  I still have it this morning.  I tried the suggested patch and my error message went from:

550 5.7.1 Authentication required.

to

550 5.7.1 Authentication is required to send mail as <{edited for privacy}>

I have no idea who <{edited for privacy}> is.  Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Likes
ErictheRed1
Enthusiast - Level 1

8.2.2014: I have the same issue, all of a sudden yesterday morning I lost the ability to send messages using Eudora 7, my email client. All of my email settings are whatVerizon says they should be and I've verified that it is accessing the SMTP outbound server via port 465. The Eudora security screen says it "succeeded" in its last SSL connection. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to have to use the on-line webmail option.

0 Likes
ErictheRed1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Inserting "SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5" into the deudora.ini file as you recommended fixed my problem.Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

For anyone else reading this who is trying to resolve the same issue, you may need to grant yourself access permission to modify this file as I did. It's fairly straightforward.

0 Likes
paradise5
Enthusiast - Level 1

The solution worked fine:

Add the following line to Eudora.ini in the section labelled [Settings]:
SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5

Here in the northern Los Angeles area, our problem started 8/1/14. For the prior 2 weeks, Verizon reps have been knocking on our door, trying to get us to switch from DSL to FIOS, which we turned down. Then this problem started. We thought it might be Verizon getting revenge on us.

We now suspect that Verizon very recently changed their local area server(s) or system in order to "roll-out" FIOS in our area, and that their change(s) caused this problem to appear. Perhaps the East Coast people had a similar roll-out last year. At any rate, muchas gracias to the genius(es) who figured this out.

MarlonB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I shouldn't say "No thanks at all to Verizon."  They did set up this bulletin board after all.  It certainly is much more useful than their telephone tech support.

0 Likes
MarlonB
Enthusiast - Level 2

We got the following notification in Brooklyn: "We are currently moving some customer accounts to a new billing system. Between August 1st-3rd...."  I don't know if there's any connection between that and the email authentication problem or if it's just a coincidence.

0 Likes