"Authentication" when pop or smtp with Verizon e-mail using Evolution
SandraLAVixen

I'm using Evolution 3.2.3 as my e-mail client.

It's worked with literally every ISP and mail service other than Verizon.

I followed the instructions on the Verizon support e-mail client setup:

• Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?
  • Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.

But if I try to receieve or send e-mail I always get a "Bad authentication response from server" error.

Has anyone ever got Evolution to work with Verizon?

I searched and it seemed to work up until the year 2013.

0 Likes
Re: "Authentication" when pop or smtp with Verizon e-mail using Evolution
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up fictional account "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The settings for using Verizon's servers would be:
Incoming Server: pop.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes
Username: fakeacct
Password: fakepassword
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): Yes
Port: 995

Outgoing Server: smtp.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes (You can set it to use the same settings as incoming, or manually enter the username and password.)
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): Yes
Port: 465

If you are given the option anywhere for Secure Password Authentication (SPA), set it to NoNormal, Plain, etc. - This can also be listed as "Authentication type" in some clients.

These settings should work unless you have a Verizon/Yahoo account, in which case the server names are: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net -and- outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

If all of that is set up and it's still not working, your best bet is to provide a screenshot of your settings (with personal information blocked/removed) and any errors you are getting.

0 Likes
SandraLAVixen

Settings for outgoing server as you specified:

Error messages while sending:

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know if it means anything since you said plain text.  But the option check for supported types is what caused others problems with some of the other mailers.  Verizon or what ever software they are using, was (and maybe still is) incorrectly advertising the support of CRAM-MD5.  Since it doesn't actually support it, then if Evolution were to try and use it, login will fail.

ps:  One of the error message you showed is for the POP, i.e., receiving side.  Hopefully it has similar setting to what you showed on the Sending side.

0 Likes