smtp.verizon.net switch to AOL has effectively disabled outbound mail from my personal domain
pm9dcr

I have an exchange 2013 running to support my personal domain and the smtp smart host is currently set to smtp.verizon.net.  Up until the drop dead date of 8th? of march, all good and functional for outbound email from my personal domain.

march 8th and on, outbound email relayed thru smtp.verizon.net, which as was stated in another reply, has ben alysised to an AOL server, received:

Diagnostic information for administrators:

{edited for privacy}

mtaout-aaa02.mx.aol.com #553 5.7.1 <dcr@MYPERSONALDOMAIN.com>: Sender address rejected: not owned by user {edited for privacy}##

where {edited for privacy} is my previous and current, now AOL, verizon email address.

I cannot fathom I'm the only one on the Verizon FIOS net residential customer that has taken it in the shorts with the switch to AOL.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: smtp.verizon.net switch to AOL has effectively disabled outbound mail from my personal domain
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

You will need to contact AOL for email support.  Their phone # is 866.633.3265.  They can also be reached at help.aol.com.

~Abe

0 Likes
Re: smtp.verizon.net switch to AOL has effectively disabled outbound mail from my personal domain
pm9dcr

Thank you 'verizon employee'.  Let the record (this forum) show that this residential customer is anoyed beyond belief that a) verizon one of the premier ISP's outsourced their customer email to AOL b) did not let AOL know or test customer configs where the customer was using smtp.verizon.net as a relay.

What ever the $dollar$ figure in cost savings to Verizon, the outsourcing will NOT be worth it.

This change will be a Harvard Business school case study 10 years from now.  My prediction, the study will be what not to do to a customer base.

Now, on to AOL support.  This should be a hoot.

One very annoyed long time (10+ years) Verizon Fios tripple play, upgraded internet customer.

David

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Remember AOL is now "A Verizon Company".  So not outsourced. They decided that instead of having two Email services to only have one.  And decided AOl was the better (CHEAPER?).  Certainly many of the AOL features appear to be better than the old Verizon one.

One thing apparently not handeled properly is cases, such as yours, where a person uses a personal or company Domain name.

Marcella_UX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any luck with getting anything working? I've not been able to send email since February 5th and I was just on the phone with Verizon Tech, Verizon Expert Care, Verizon Advanced Tech Support and AOL Support for the last 6 hours. No resolution and being told AOL DOES NOT SUPPORT PRIVATE DOMAIN NAMES FOR OUTGOING EMAIL - I can only use verizon.net for my outgoing via AOL.

I'm so angry right now. I run 2 companies off of my private domain. I'm incensed. This is the WORST Business practice EVER. I can't fathom which idiot made this MASSIVE mistake. I see from the forums we're not the only ones.

The customer service people from AOL - India - Wonderful and apologetic. The rep I talked with was in tears and apologizing and agreeing that this is insane and so bad for business. 

i know my next letter is to the media relations department at verizon. I'm gonig to publish it on Medium and anywhere else I can. 

Verizon should be ashamed of itself. This is the worst of the worst. Crooks, low-lifes. I used to love Verizon. No  more. I'm very reluctantly switching to Time Warner Cable. I've had enough. 

pm9dcr

I have been out of town and unable to persue up until now (Sunday, 27March).  Will advise on AOl support for private domain names and outbound email relays.  Based on your comment regarding AOL official answer, it does not look promising.

I've recently moved one domain to GoDaddy and will likely do same with my other domain.  Once that is done, switching to Brignthouse will be a simple task.

0 Likes
pm9dcr

My first crack at AOL support via chat:

"Your chat request has been canceled because no agents are available."

it is 1:37am on Easter Sunday .. Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
pm9dcr

AOL choses to not support personal domains>

[You will really like the way these two professional ISP's (AOL and Verizon) play off each other.  Verizon telling me to check with AOL and AOL telling me to check with Verison]

0 Likes
Gvodvarka

I have also jumped thru all the hoops!  AOL knows nothing along with Verizon.  I have to use my gmail account to send any mail from all my other accounts.  If they do not get this fixed soon I will be forced to find another provider.  Gary

0 Likes
curtisG1

I know this is an old thread, but this problem just started about 2 weeks ago for me.  I'm located in Fairfax County, Virginia

Was there ever any success with getting SMTP.VERIZON.NET to accept a private domain in relaying outbound SMTP traffic from a FIOS residential IP?

This is really frustrating...  VERIZON support is clueless 

0 Likes