suddenly unable to send mail from Mac OS X mail application
Etienne
Enthusiast - Level 2

Every time I try to send mail from my mac os x mail application I get the message "sender rejected by server.  Server response was: 5.7.0 no authentication command has been given".  In 6 years of use, I have never had this problem, so I guess it has to do with the abandonment of Yahoo Mail.  I did make the account changes of incoming. verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net.  Although I get the same  result with port 25  or  587, I am confused about which port we are supposed to use.  Never saw anything about port 587 until recently.  Did Verizon send out information about this?  Off topic:   The last  few days I have been on hold way in excess of two hours waiting to speak to a tech person.  Verizon really needs to address this situation.  Also, the Verizon pages take much too long to load, even with an upgrade in speed.  The slowness is only observed with verizon pages.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: suddenly unable to send mail from Mac OS X mail application
wil4ds
Enthusiast - Level 2

Etienne and other Mac users, try this.  No thanks to Verizon Support I figured out the following:

1) In Mail, open the preferences pane and click the Accounts tab.

2) Just for grins, check and make sure your email address, username, and password are entered correctly.  I assume they are because we are not **bleep**.  The Incoming  Mail Server (POP) should be "incoming.verizon.net", which it probably is already.

3) Under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), click the "Server Settings" button.  In the popup pane, the server should be "outgoing.verizon.net", which it probably is already.  You can leave it at Port 25 (at least for now).

4) Next to Authentication, if it says "None", use the dropdown menu and change that to "Password", then enter your username (not your whole email address) and password.  Select OK to return to the previous panel.

5) Now the Outgoing Mail Server should read "outgoing.verizon.net:yourusername".  If it doesn't, use the dropdown menu to select that.

6) Click on the General preferences tab, which should ask if you want to save changes.  Save the changes and close Preferences.

Mail should now go out the way it used to.  Apparently the old system would accept unauthenticated outgoing mail, but the new system will not.  At least this worked for me.  If yours was already set up this way and it doesn't work anyway, I got nothin'.

Good luck,

: Duke

View solution in original post

wil4ds
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I am in the same crappy boat.  A lot has been up with my FiOS service.  Lost my phone for a week and now this crap.  When the phone was out I had TV and internet, and then sudden problems with the Apple Mail program.  Got that working so it would receive, and now suddenly it won't send.

The program is configured correctly, at least within what I found from the spectacularly NON-detailed information given on the Verizon website.  No mention anywhere of what port to use so I tried the 587 port from the post above - nada.

This sucks, Verizon.  Join the 21st century.  No Mac support?  *Really?*

wil4ds
Enthusiast - Level 2

Etienne and other Mac users, try this.  No thanks to Verizon Support I figured out the following:

1) In Mail, open the preferences pane and click the Accounts tab.

2) Just for grins, check and make sure your email address, username, and password are entered correctly.  I assume they are because we are not **bleep**.  The Incoming  Mail Server (POP) should be "incoming.verizon.net", which it probably is already.

3) Under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), click the "Server Settings" button.  In the popup pane, the server should be "outgoing.verizon.net", which it probably is already.  You can leave it at Port 25 (at least for now).

4) Next to Authentication, if it says "None", use the dropdown menu and change that to "Password", then enter your username (not your whole email address) and password.  Select OK to return to the previous panel.

5) Now the Outgoing Mail Server should read "outgoing.verizon.net:yourusername".  If it doesn't, use the dropdown menu to select that.

6) Click on the General preferences tab, which should ask if you want to save changes.  Save the changes and close Preferences.

Mail should now go out the way it used to.  Apparently the old system would accept unauthenticated outgoing mail, but the new system will not.  At least this worked for me.  If yours was already set up this way and it doesn't work anyway, I got nothin'.

Good luck,

: Duke

Etienne
Enthusiast - Level 2

That appears to work, Duke, and thank you. But something really strange happened at the time of the change: all of my emails I was saving for one reason or another disappeared (I am guessing they were sent when verizon yahoo still was in effect). I am going to try to see if they will reappear if I temporarily return to my old settings. My problem, but I really wish the computer world would stop assuming that everyone was raised on puters. Verizon could have handled this much better. They could have sent everyone explicit instructions like yours and avoided all this frustration. I had even called when we were initially told about severing ties with yahoo and asked if I would need to change my settings and was told "no". Still mystified that it takes so long to download a verizon page. I guess it could be that so many are coming to the site. Rarely have I seen the spinning ball so much lol.

I wonder what Verizon's customer service ratings will be when reported in the next "Consumer's Reports" lmao Thanks again for your help.

quiltgal1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have been experiencing problems sending my emails since March 27 and thanks to you I have been able to solve the problem.  No fun to copy from Verizon and send through a separate Yahoo account I have.  Thank you for explaining how to do this step by step for Mac users.   Wish Verizon had done this when they first made the change and it would have simplified matters for many of us.   Change isn't always for the best - especially when we don't have information needed.