Switch Account

verizon AOL email won't download to outlook

verizon AOL email won't download to outlook

SOLVED
Contributor fsocietyfanatic
Contributor
Message 11 of 14
(425 Views)

Please read this in its entirety BEFORE attempting to resolve the issue.

This customer uses a Verizon email account that was tied into AOL’s Mail Servers after the merger. After correctly entering all of the correct information for the Verizon email address including the username (ex:[username]@verizon.net) as well as POP3 Incoming and Outgoing SMTP port and server settings, Outlook 365 Desktop (Office 2019 Outlook) still couldn’t connect.

TURNS OUT AOL’s password for her email access WAS NOT THE SAME. 

The customer had her credentials which worked fine to sign into her email through a web browser on Outlook’s website. But those same credentials didn’t work with AOL’s online webmail client. 

Now, this is where it all started to make sense to me, AOL didn’t throwback any error code that would let me know I had entered an email address that wasn’t registered on AOL. 

What I was presented with was the next expected entry field box asking for the customer’s account password. I entered the password that worked to sign in on Outlook’s website but it wouldn’t work. 

Well, what if the reason Outlook Desktop 2019 couldn’t connect with the POP3 mail address (pop.verizon.net, port 995) is because Outlook was expecting the AOL password?

After resetting the AOL password and trying THAT NEW PASSWORD with the manual mailbox configuration tool (Outlook 2019 Windows) with POP3 Incoming: pop.verizon.net port 995 with SSL Outgoing: smtp.verizon.net port 465 with SSL, Outlook managed to successfully add the account in seconds. 

For my situation, I did not check off SAP Authentication for either the incoming or outgoing servers. I also had to create an entirely new profile in outlook instead of modifying the existing one; it might work for you but it didn’t for me. In the end, I pointed the freshly made Outlook profile to the old PST file during the manual configuration. 

Voila, it works. I should get a job at Verizon where the title held goes something like Head of Making Sure Our Customers Can Still Use Our Email Services After A Merger, but I wouldn’t want to say that I work for Verizon until they flat-out publish this somewhere where ALL of their mail service users can easily find it.

Maybe they didn't know, I hope that now they do.

Hope this helps, 

Best Regards, 

Just a Guy Working At A Locally Owned and Operated Phone & Computer Repair Shop.

Contributor Sydney2
Contributor
Message 12 of 14
(352 Views)

use Gmail as a workaround. I have 5 active email addresses working through it. I only tried Out;ook because I thought it would work like Exchange. I have 2 out of 3 working in Outlook. Bummer!

o

Contributor RJ2
Contributor
Message 13 of 14
(111 Views)

I finally got my outlook mail to work with verizon/aol

Contributor RJ2
Contributor
Message 14 of 14
(111 Views)

I finally got outlook to work with verizon/aol.  I used the one month free trial Aol tech support.  The tech used imap settings I have not seen posted anywhere to set up the account in outlook Incoming: imap.aol.com Port 993

Outgoing: smtp.verizon.net Port 465

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.