Re: verizon smtp no longer allowing custom domains
meteoritedude
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm with you guys. THIS SUCKS.

I dealt with the port 25 block.

My domain email server doesn't handle port 465 (issues).

SURPRISE!

Can't send email today.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Been a customer a long time.

As long as relaying worked, I was dealing with it.

I will find another provider if this is not fixed.  As far as I'm concerned, this is breach of contract - I did not not sign up for this crap when I renewed my contract.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

Hi meteoritedude,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases." You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe." Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
meteoritedude
Enthusiast - Level 2

No. Verizon offers an 'apology'.

Out of the public's eye they whack you with a blackjack.

Say 'tough noogies'.

There may be a way to get around it with gmail... but who wants google scanning your stuff?

It is the method used to s/r mail on an ipad that has no filter support for spam.

Blocking outgoing mail doesn't stop the crap that may come thru picking up mail from an unfiltered server.

Makes no sense.

But, maybe FF's will block that too.

So what good is the service if they nanny-state you??

It's bad enough I have had emails that had   a  youtube link spit back 'cuz it was 'spam'.

Sometimes it was a  link in an email reply that was detected and blocked it.

**bleep**??

apollos
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Foreign" addresses in From field not permitted as of today - with no backup info available

"Foreign" means an address that is not sender@verizon.net

I discovered this in the morning of 11-16-2016 when I sent e-mails from my desktop computer using the Pegasus mail client using an e-mail address like myname@mydomain.com;   myname@verizon.net works just fine.

Also no problem for those who use web mail.

For me this a major pain in the neck, not to mention Verizon turning the switch with no warning to its customers, and no details available available.

I can't believe I am the only one to whom this matters.  Let me hear from you if it affects you.

Mattg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why would they do this? I get the following bounce:

(reason: 550 5.7.1 From address not allowed)

I'm filing a complaint with the FCC. This is rediculous. If they want to make it a manual opt-in to prevent spam, fine. But arbitrary and capricious changes to the service that impede legitimate use is something the FCC cares about. If VZ can identify spam, then because they are making us go through an authenticated port on smtp.verizon.com then they should know *who* is doing it, and should deal with those customers individually. Instead they are crippling the service they are supposed to be providing, to the detriment of all customers.

benerus
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this nightmare as well.  NO notice reached me prior to the shutoff.  I have used this for years without problem and it took several hours to figure out.  My evening is destroyed and now I have an urgent problem to cope with tomorrow.  Absolutely furious at Verizon!!!!

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

Hi apollos, Mattg and benerus,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases." You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe." Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
benerus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forum readers, if this bothers you and since the techs are saying it was a corporate decision, you may wish to file a complaint with the FCC, which just takes 90 seconds via their web form:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

The four reasons that I complained were (1) reduction in our email service capabilities without a reduction in price; (2) failure to give adequate notice since apparently many of us were surprised and our lives disrupted; (3) loss of net neutrality, since Verizon will no longer allow third-party domain names through its outgoing email servers and that is simply a type of data; and (4) anti-competitive / restraint of trade because Verizon is forcing customers to adopt a verizon.net domain for email usage, which makes it more difficult to switch Internet Service Providers.

Although I have been a satisfied Verizon customer (and shareholder) this particular decision is a bad one, and by applying pressure via regulators, we can hope that they will change.

nalramli
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks benerus.  I have filed a complaint with the FCC against Verizon.  Not only did Verizon cause a massive service interruption by this change, but Verizon has also put its customers at a huge privacy and security risk because now we have to scramble to find an external SMTP service provider and give them access to all of our outgoing emails, instead of using the internet provider's SMTP server.  These are the kind of corporate decisions that will make Veriozon and its likes extinct.  It's very common for people to run SSH, web, and mail servers in their homes and some Apps even rely on that.  Security should not be an execuse for blocking access.  Disabling functionality is not the proper way to enhance security.

softdev1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Couldn't agree more that this is totally unacceptable. I've used a personal business domain for 15 years without any problems and now, without any notice, it is taken away. Total waste of one day so far, and I still don't have a solution. This is no way to treat customers. If I can't resolve it soon, Verizon will lose my internet, tv, and cell phone business. Ridiculous!