Re: verizon smtp no longer allowing custom domains
pl626
Contributor - Level 1

Update- Good news, I hope.  I still use a Windows 7 machine with Outlook 2010.  After the change yesterday, I could no longer send through non-V* domain accounts.  A while back, V* did a similar abrupt change, forcing us to change the SMTP config of the non-V* accounts to use the V* account. 

However, as of the 11/15/16 change, i could no longer send from these accounts, nor could I change the config.  Outlook 2010 would just freeze when I tried to change them.  It occurred to me that something had been corrupted, so I tried deleting the e-mail accounts in Outlook, then I added them back in as "new" accounts, though I used the same old PST file. 

The difference this time was I changed the SMTP host from V* to my third-party provider.  Outlook still hung, so I killed the session with Task Mgr, relaunched the Win 32 bit mail admin, and verified the new accounts were there with the correct config.

I then launched the Outlook client and was able to send a test mail from the "new" third-party account.  I hope this stays, but who knows...

0 Likes
JDH11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too have been functioning for decades this way.  Suddenly this morning no outgoing emails.  Error 550 From address not allowed!  This unacceptable.  I received no warning of this and have no workaround.  This needs to be changed.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi JDH1,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

Netropy
Enthusiast - Level 1

What in the world are you thinking shutting this down?  As with others, no notice that I saw in my case either.   I've spent the better part of the day trying to figure out why my fulfillment system no longer could send order confirmations to my customers and then more time on the phone with your agents who had no clue.  

No, it very likely does not affect the majority of your customers but for those of us who do rely on sending mail through SMTP using non-Verizon addresses for a variety of reasons it is a critical requirement.  I cannot contact my customers via email sent from some random Verizon email address.  That's a ridiculous expectation.  Even more so when I'm sending out through my own **bleep** ISP.  I can understand that you may not want outsiders bouncing through your relays but you know the origin of the traffic in this case. 

Seriously, this is one of the most boneheaded things that I've ever seen a provider do.  Other than the FCC and alternative providers to move our business, who do we contact at Verizon regarding this?  The person who made the decision should be walked out of the building immediately.  This is rookie stuff.  I'm not sure that it really even serves any purpose on your end.  All anyone would need to do to defeat it would be to tag a verizon.net on the end.  Someone abusing it won't care that nobody can get back to them.  We do but not via a Verizon email address! 

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Netropy,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
jastill
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue for me. I have multiple domains, some without SMTP servers. This is absolutely appalling. I received no notice and had to debug the issue. Email addresses I have been using for years no longer can send email.

The kicker for me is I signed up for another 2 years with Verizon a month ago, had I known this was about to happen I would have definitely shopped around.

I am curious if I am still bound to the contract if the service was degraded without notice.

Absolutely shocking customer service.

JohnA

Alexburns
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is absolutely shocking. Has anyone found a workaround?

Mattg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Re: workaround: If you want to pay for a relay, there are various third parties you can use. 

Re: contract renewal: I am not a lawyer, but it is obvious that they unilaterially changed the terms of service, and you should win if you fought against any early termination fees.

nalramli
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon should either open outgoing port 25, or allow access to their SMTP server with custom domain in From address.  Is it ridiculous to have both blocked, because that completely disables Email, which is like the most basic use case for the internet.  There must be a monetary motive behind this move, but I don't understand what it is.  It certainly has nothing to do with the "security enhancement" lie that Verizon is telling.

Alexburns
Enthusiast - Level 2

Another workaround:

Google's SMTP seems to work with third-party email addresses. You need to use a Gmail account for authentication.