Re: verizon smtp no longer allowing custom domains
nalramli
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alexburns,

Yes, a third party SMTP could be a workaround, but it is not acceptable for Verizon to expect its customers to use a third part SMTP service.  That has serious security and privacy implications because it requires giving a third party full access to outgoing emails.  Verizon is putting its customers at a huge risk by this stupid decision.

Alexburns
Enthusiast - Level 2

nalramli,

I fully agree with you. Very poor service and disregard for the customer. Especially as I come from France where market price for fiber triple play is around $35/month.

ThiaB
Moderator Emeritus

Hi JohnA69,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Nilsa_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Effective, November 15, 2016, the ability to change the "From" address or the ability to use a non-local "From" address on outgoing email has been removed.  This feature allowed customers to change the @Verizon.net SENT email address to something different.  Example:  gina@somecompany.com instead of gina@verizon.net.

Security and protection of our customers' privacy are our main goals. Here is a copy of a customer notification which was sent out:

Verizon Logo
Nilsa
Community Manager

Community Manager
Community Manager II
0 Likes
pl626
Contributor - Level 1

ISTR, they've flip-flopped, i.e., a while back I had to configure my Outlook clients for each e-mail account to use the V* SMTP, but after 11/15/16, I had to switch back to my mail host's SMTP.  Once that was done, I could send from those accounts.

On my Win 10 machines, it was a simple change, just edit the SMTP entry, adjust the account info, and adjust the STMP port per third-party host settings. 

On my Win 7 machine with Outlook 2010, it was a bit of a struggle.  I had to actually remove each account, then add them back-in manually, so I could reuse the old .PST file.  However, once all the config had been done, Outlook 2010 appeared to freeze.  I used Task Mgr to kill the session, then relaunched, and thankfully, the changes had stuck.  My test e-mails were sent successfully. 

0 Likes
user1234561
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon,

This is garbage.  You didn't even notify us about this despite what you say about some mystery email that went out.  You made no effort to notify us.  I've been using FIOS for 10 years and just signed a 2 year contract, and I am hoping that your change will allow me to get out of it now.  This is the only reason I even used your service.  Please return access to all of us so that we can use the outgoing smtp server with our domain names.

PS: Even your tech support thinks this was a crap move.  They said they spent hours with customers on Tuesday trying to figure this out because they didn't even know it happened.  VERY poor service.

user1234561
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's fine, but what if YOU ARE your mail host.  This doesn't work for us.

Nickel Contributor

Message 65 of 67 (12 Views)

ISTR, they've flip-flopped, i.e., a while back I had to configure my Outlook clients for each e-mail account to use the V* SMTP, but after 11/15/16, I had to switch back to my mail host's SMTP.  Once that was done, I could send from those accounts.

llee2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been troubleshooting for a few hours until I stumbled across these posts. Very frustrating, does anyone know if this action is grounds to get out of my 2 year contract?

yknot2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues --2 things--I have webhosting (and have had my business there for many years >15) for a web presence and a POP3 e-mail system with the company name ABCD.com.  I got the outgoing mail to work by using their SMTP and also using VPN - piping it directly to them to send messages--incoming is fine.  However the issues still remaining are:

1.  You need a VPN package --- decent ones are a few $, but if you travel domestically or international on business it is a good policy to use it as a level of security anyway.

2. VPN will prevent your office printers, unless connected into the computer directly (USB port) from working until you disconnect. I am going to write a script to connect VPN periodically if my mail is open and send outgoing say every x hours and then disconnect so the printers will work.

3.  So far so good--I also have Verizon cell phones for myself and employees--TROUBLE - their mail no longer works--no VPN on the cell.  We are dropping this service next week--have had it for many years. Suggest if you have Verizon cell to check mail and (most likely) drop the service.

4. I spoke to some folks at the AI human to machine interface conference prep going on in Munich Germany last night.  They suggested after reserching it to file a compalint with the FCC as this is a violation (in their opinion) of the Net Neutrality laws --Verizon is simply trying to increase business with this practice. The more filings the better --there are forms on line.

Hope this helps to get you going and good luck. 

cubsfan2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just wasted two hours trying to fix my outgoing email problem when I finally hit upon the right words in google to find this forum.  I have had this setup for over 11 years since I never could get the outgoing SMTP to work with my email provider.  Guess I'll have to finally figure it out or keep my temporary setup in Thunderbird using the "reply to" with my real email address and the from showing the Verizon email that I never use.

Time to start checking out providers.  Lousy customer service.