verizon smtp no longer allowing custom domains
DesignConsul
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, I run a small home based business. Have had my own domain for 25 years. Use fios as IP and mac mail running through smtp.verizon.net. There is no other way to set this up. Today they have block all mail that is not from a verizon.net email account. No work around, no support, with 2 weeks notice a total cut off. This has to affect a lot of people. Am I missing something? I have lost the ability to send email unless it comes from a generic @verizon.net address. Is there a way to spoof the addrss so it still looks like my domain? I have 30 something email addresses on my domain. Do they all now have to be rebuilt on verizons servers?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: verizon smtp no longer allowing custom domains
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sscarter wrote:

Just stumbled onto this thread. Have been struggling with intermittent SMTP issues for several weeks, and completely stumped. Has anyone found a workaround? I can't believe Verizon would do this. I've been a loyal FIOS customer since they first introduced the service - I was one of the first customers in the state. But this is completely unacceptable. Many of us use a different domain for email.

In general you can use reply to as a different valid email address.

People with Business account should be able to negotiate something with Verizon.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DesignConsul
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have moved to my own hosted smtp. Verizon absolutely no help. 20 day notice before eliminating decades old service.

dfirsching1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just ran into this and it is totally UNACCEPTABLE, Verizon. 

I also run my own business and I have avoided broadcasting my verizon email address for years. Although the other poster mentioned a 20 day notice, I did not receive any notice at all. I did not know this was coming and am now dead in the water with my business email address. 

Well we do have cell phones coming off their plans and maybe it is time to ditch Verizon if this is the way they treat their loyal customers.  

I mean, come on now, we have been routing through Verizon to send. Why can't we use our business names???

dfirsching1
Enthusiast - Level 2

What solution did you choose? I need to go the same route, ASAP.

Thanks!

Nogginware
Enthusiast - Level 1

I never received any notification either.  Last night at 12:30am I was able to send mail and this morning at 7:30am, I was no longer able to.  Really frustrating and I agree - totally UNACCEPTABLE.

dfirsching1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey, 

Turns out, Verizon *does* still let you use your custom domain. You just can use the SMTP of the ISP where you are hosting the domain.

Now, previously, Verizon made you send using Verizon's smtp, and we were jumping through hoops to use a relay personality of Verizon and send using Verizon's smtp.

Well, apparently now you can go back to using your other smtp. It is working for me.

I checked my messages and do not appear to have received any message about this.

So no, not setting up a custom smtp here today.  Whew!

ThiaB
Moderator Emeritus

Hi DesignConsul,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
GregPandolfo
Enthusiast - Level 2

To add insult to injury, they are blocking the ability for me to reply to other subscribers who are responding to the original post.  This is a very bad customer service move. It took me 20 minutes on the phone to get me to someone who actually understood the issue and pretty much said that this is the new policy and there is nothing that we (the customer) can do about it.  I was an early FIOS customer and have all of my home and phone services with Verizon.  I will be shopping for a new provider today.  Bad Move, Verizon!!!!!

ThiaB
Moderator Emeritus

Hi GregPandolfo,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
nalramli
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am submitting another post about this issue because it is a major degredation of FiOS service and it needs urgent attention by Verizon.

I host my own domain and email server over my FiOS internet line, and I never check my verizon.net account because I don't want it.  All I want is basic SMTP service that I can connect to and send messages from my own server.  Suddenly, SMTP stopped working.  This is not acceptable because I spent weeks setting up and configuring my email server, and I have a ton of email stored on it.  Now I am left without a way to respond to incoming email.  All I got was an email notification in my verizon.net accout which I never use or check:

• "Maintaining the security and integrity of your information is important to us. Effective November 15, 2016, for enhanced security and phishing protection, we are eliminating the ability to use non-local “from” addresses in conjunction with your verizon.net email account. " 

I don't believe a word of what is said in that email.  I've never had any security issues with email, and I do not want Veriszon's "enhanced security".  All I want is for Verizon to allow this 40-year old technology called email to continue to work properly.

I want to host my email on my own internet line, not anywehre else because that does not ensure the security and privacy standards that I enforce, which appear to be much higher than Verizon's.  This is exactly why this stuff needs to be regulated by the FCC.  If this issue is not resolved promptly I'm going to have to look at other options for internet.