yet another victim of the Verizon blacklisting
pfps
Enthusiast - Level 3

I, too, am unable to connect to pop.verizon.net or smtp.verizon.net from my current location.  This is not a problem with my account as I can read email through the web interface.

It really appears that Verizon is blacklisting many portions of the internet and refusing to service email requests from there.  That they are doing this indicates that there is some sort of emergency.  However, it would be very useful to have some information about what is going on so that we don't spend so much time trying to fix the situation.

0 Likes
Re: yet another victim of the Verizon blacklisting
PaulPiusC

Today, 10/7/2014, I was unable to get or send verizon mail from Thunderbird or my Android devices. This happens a lot with verizon, very rarely with Yahoo or gmail. You say you too are having this problem. Was there another post on this subject and what do you mean by 'blacklisting many portions of the internet'. I've never seen this reported as the cause for these problems, its usually some settings that Verizon has changed.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

I'm going to send you a message so we can help figure out what's going on

~Jess

0 Likes
mirnovo
After some lengthy discussions with Verizon technical service I was told that they had for about a month problems with international outage. We travelled to Europe at the beginning of September and we were not able to receive and send Verizon email (pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net was unable to connect). No problems with yahoo mail and Gmail. I was not even able to connect to Verizon webmail. When we got back to the States we found that our past sent messages and a lot of incoming messages simply disappeared from our folders and even from Webmail. In summary it seems that Verizon is having problems with their servers. To me they called it "international outage" and they have been working on it for about a month. How many people have been affected by that I was not told. It looks like Verizon is trying to keep it quiet.
0 Likes
LizzieT
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't know about "blacklisting" but I have several times had trouble accessing my pop acounts through my apple mail account.  Today 10-8-14, I cannot access any verizon pop accoutns at home, through either computer.  I suspect my service or router is messed up.  I can access them through my browser.  Would love this to get fixed!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon does not maintain the BLACKLIST.  They may tell those that do if they see attacks.  I belive they use several of the popular blacklist services.

0 Likes
ThePinz

I too have been unable to receive email using Thunderbird for the last 24 hours. I entered a chat session with Verizon support last night and was told that there is an issue with their POP servers, and they are working on it. The representative disappeared from the session before I had a chance to ask any additional questions.

0 Likes
pfps
Enthusiast - Level 3

From the long thread at http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/No-response-from-pop-verizon-net-or-smtp-verizon-net/... and other complaints, it strongly appears that Verizon cut off POP and SMTP access from a large portion of the internet, maybe including all foreign ISPa, on or about 17 September 2014.

The problem occurs when  you have Verizon email but don't use always Verizon as your ISP.   Without changing any settings on your computer, you can no longer access the Verizon POP or SMTP servers.   The web interface to your Verizon email is unaffected.  If your internet connection hasn't changed, then this would have happened on or about 17 September 2014.  If you changed your internet connection, for examples between work and home or due to travel, then your inability to access Verizon email could have happened at the time of the switch.

There may have been good reasons for Verizon to make this restrict access in this way.  For example, Verizon's email servers may have been successfully attacked, and Verizon then restricted access so as to stem the attack. 

Verizon does not appear to be saying anything about either just the simple fact of the cutoff, the reasons for it, the hopefully temporary workaround, or when a resolution can be expected.  It is the silence of Verizon that is the most severe problem, causing considerable expense on the part of its customers.   Verizon may believe that its silence is helping to solve the problem, but past experience has shown that being forthright is the much better policy.

I currenntly use Verizon FIOS for cable, phone, and internet, but I am seriously considering changing because of this poor behaviour of Verizon.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pfps wrote:

From the long thread at http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/No-response-from-pop-verizon-net-or-smtp-verizon-net/... and other complaints, it strongly appears that Verizon cut off POP and SMTP access from a large portion of the internet, maybe including all foreign ISPa, on or about 17 September 2014.

The problem occurs when  you have Verizon email but don't use always Verizon as your ISP.   Without changing any settings on your computer, you can no longer access the Verizon POP or SMTP servers.   The web interface to your Verizon email is unaffected.  If your internet connection hasn't changed, then this would have happened on or about 17 September 2014.  If you changed your internet connection, for examples between work and home or due to travel, then your inability to access Verizon email could have happened at the time of the switch.

There may have been good reasons for Verizon to make this restrict access in this way.  For example, Verizon's email servers may have been successfully attacked, and Verizon then restricted access so as to stem the attack. 

Verizon does not appear to be saying anything about either just the simple fact of the cutoff, the reasons for it, the hopefully temporary workaround, or when a resolution can be expected.  It is the silence of Verizon that is the most severe problem, causing considerable expense on the part of its customers.   Verizon may believe that its silence is helping to solve the problem, but past experience has shown that being forthright is the much better policy.

I currenntly use Verizon FIOS for cable, phone, and internet, but I am seriously considering changing because of this poor behaviour of Verizon.

Yes they were attacked.  Many customers were getting their ID's locke by these attacks.  Yes they may have to whitelist your ISP or IP address.  They initially blocked all overseas, but will whitelist as they are contacted by customers.  They are currently suggesting you try the MYFIOS app (if you have it) to see if you can access your mail. 

@If you use the Yahoo interface YOU MUST now add @verizon..net to your userid.

If you cannot  access try contacting them directly or if you cannot, PM one of the Admins on the boards.  NOTE, NOT THE CL"S, we are not Verizon employess but just peers like yourselves.

0 Likes
pfps
Enthusiast - Level 3

Whitelisting is not a solution at all when you are travelling, as you change IP addresses and ISPs just about every day.

Whitelisting is a bad solution in general for this kind of problem. Is every Verizon customer supposed to spend hours to figure out what is to be done, and then wait days to be unblocked?

Verizon needs to get its act together here.  I am actually surprised that there have not already been articles in the trade press on this fiasco.

0 Likes