1 month after install speed tests show dramatic reduction in download speed
surfer_00

I had FIOS internet installed 1 month ago.  I currently have a windows XP and a windows vista CPU on a home network.  When I originally ran speed test after the install I was getting very close to 20/5 speeds on both CPU's.  Now I get 1.5/3 speeds on the XP CPU and 20/5 on my vista machine.  I am confused as to why the XP machine has dropped off so terribly.

As of today 10-5-08 on my XP machine

Your download
speed is:
2.721 Mbps

Your upload
speed is:
2.921 Mbps

Your current Verizon
FiOS Internet Speed
package is up to 20/5

What can I be doing or checking to fix this?

0 Likes
Re: 1 month after install speed tests show dramatic reduction in download speed
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
Is the XP machine wireless or hard wired? What site are you using for your speed test? Have you run the Verizon optimize tool from the help and support page of the website?
0 Likes
surfer_00
Yes, I have run Verizon Optimizer at least 3 times, along with speed tests from Speed test net, speak easy and the Verizon one.  All three show the same results.  Both CPU's are wired. 
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Run the Verizon Connection Wizard software first. verizon.com/connectionwizard 
0 Likes
surfer_00

Well I've ran Connection Wizard.  It says my connection is working however when I click "fix my internet connection" it hangs up at "connecting to router" and then displays a graphic indicating that I need to plug in cable to router.  The router is connected to my PC and I am able to access the internet.

I updated my Intel Pro network card drivers yesterday with no effect, I've ran TCP Optimizer with no effect and restored default settings on router with no effect on speed tests.  Still showing less than 3k downloads and k uploads  on a 20/5 service.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Do you have another computer to test the speed? If another computer is good then something is wrong with your computer.
0 Likes
Adam

Idea:

Switch the network adapters between computers if you can, then retest. When the hardware starts to go bad on your network adapter, it often switches to lower operating speeds during it's death throes. Try switching cables too.

0 Likes
surfer_00
No luck on Cennection Wizard, it says my router is not connected even though it is.  Bought and installed new network card, no results.  Spoke to tech support for 1 hour and they went thru my system and could not locate the problem.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
Sometimes different Protocols running in your Network connections, such as QoS packet scheduler, file and print sharing, etc, etc., can slow you down, PLUS if your computer is running processes so that the cpu usage is high, or even spiking on & off regularly, it makes sense to figure that your streaming network connection might not have necessary processing power to keep up a good speed.  Multi-processors are ALWAYS better than one.
0 Likes
surfer_00
It's interesting.  I have optimized settings thru Verizon, TCP optimizer, Connection analyzer and yet my speeds remain 3/3 on a 20/5 service plan just on my XP CPU.  The Vista CPU and Wireless CPU continue to run 20/5.  I've read and dug deep into the registry looking for errors or conflicts and see nothing.  Odd thing is that Verizon Connection Wizard will not connect to the router.  It says my internet connection is good but when it tries to communicate to the router it stops and says a wire is not connected.  I've replaced my network card and cable and can access the internet albiet at 3/3 versus 20/5 according to speakeasy, speedtestnet and verizon.
0 Likes