2 more router questions
mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Hi everyone. I had a couple questions about some readings on my FIOS Actiontec router. Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I am still learning:  

1) On the my main page where it shows my computer's wireless connection it reads that remote access is enabled. What does this mean?

2) On the Wireless Status page it shows something called WMM is enabled. What is WMM?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 2 more router questions
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know what the Remote Access value is talking about, unless it means something along the lines of Remote Assistance, Remote Desktop or you have the Verizon software installed and it is keeping a pathway open for remote assistance. Check your PC over for any one of these.

View solution in original post

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Well I searched the web and found out what WMM is. But I would really appreciate if someone could explain to me what to change so that my computer won't show as having remote access enabled.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know what the Remote Access value is talking about, unless it means something along the lines of Remote Assistance, Remote Desktop or you have the Verizon software installed and it is keeping a pathway open for remote assistance. Check your PC over for any one of these.

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

It might be something related to Verizon software somewhere on the computer, because I checked those areas you mentioned and made sure all remote services I could find were disabled.

prisaz
Legend

@mike1969 wrote:

Hi everyone. I had a couple questions about some readings on my FIOS Actiontec router. Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I am still learning:  

1) On the my main page where it shows my computer's wireless connection it reads that remote access is enabled. What does this mean?

2) On the Wireless Status page it shows something called WMM is enabled. What is WMM?

What revision of Actiontec router do you have? Model # and rev. ? Are you having issues?

There are various revisions and firmware loads for the Actiontec router. If you are in an area that has GPON, you may have one of the very newest routers, and it may have features that many users have not seen. Myself included. GPON Gigabit Passive Optical Network.

To provide assistance we would need more information. This may be an item only Verizon can answer, or another user with your hardware.

1. Possible feature of #2 below. Want to trade routers?

Lucky luck. Looks like you have a rev. F

http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=213&typ=all

2. Yes you do have the new router that supports wireless N.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Multimedia_Extensions

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Hi, thank you very much for those links, they contain a lot of helpful information. I will look them over more when I return to my home. Right now I am vacationing in Maryland and having to use another company's internet that is less than 1 MB/sec. 😞    I miss FIOS!

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mike1969 wrote:

A picture of that screen would be helpful.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If you are talking about this screen, and it shows remote access enabled, that means there is probably port forwarding enabled on the router to your PC, possibly enabled by the Verizon for the Home Agent software. This allows Verizon to support connection diagnostics on your PC with the IHA tools. You will also see it for remote DVR and STB functions, and othe Verizon diagnostic access to the devices on your network. You can remove the rule under firewall settings, but be careful not to remove rules for your TV hardware.

You must be at minimum a Bronze Contributor for the ability to to upload images into message posts (JPG & GIF) 

Is this where you see it?

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, that is exactly where I see it and I do have the Verizon in home agent installed, and when I checked the services running on my computer Verizon's IHA message center service was on there. I will check the port forwarding on my router settings as well.

0 Likes
mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Well here is an update: I made a lot of changes on my computer based on the advice given to me on this forum. Based on what I changed, I would say it was a combination of remote microsoft and remote verizon processes/services running on my computer. Now that I have disabled or blocked many of those processes and services, the router no longer displays "remote access enabled".  🙂  Thanks to everyone who responded for your very helpful advice and information.