20 minutes to download 100MB file?
bjcarr721

When I test my internet connection, using the FIOS speed test, my results are about 55Mbps download.

If my math is correct, it should take me about 17 seconds to download a 100MB file.

Math: assuming 1byte = 8 bits means 50Mbps = 6.25 MB/s

However, I bought a software application from Amazon, which was listed to have a file size of 106MB.  I downloaded the program to install and it took about 20 minutes to download!

So, either my math is wrong or the FIOS speed test is incorrect.  Why would the download have taken so long?  Do I have a problem with my connection/router?  Can someone help me understand what is happening?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: 20 minutes to download 100MB file?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its little slower then you estimated because of overhead even under ideal circumstances.  (slightly more than 8 bits per byte is used and overhead do to packet headers, handshakes,and hops).  But probably the biggest problem is a slow connection (perhaps do to an overload)  somewhere between you and amazon.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@bjcarr721 wrote:

When I test my internet connection, using the FIOS speed test, my results are about 55Mbps download.

If my math is correct, it should take me about 17 seconds to download a 100MB file.

Math: assuming 1byte = 8 bits means 50Mbps = 6.25 MB/s

However, I bought a software application from Amazon, which was listed to have a file size of 106MB.  I downloaded the program to install and it took about 20 minutes to download!

So, either my math is wrong or the FIOS speed test is incorrect.  Why would the download have taken so long?  Do I have a problem with my connection/router?  Can someone help me understand what is happening?

Thanks.

The dowload is probably slow due to the source server or the path the bits take to get to you, not your FiOS Internet speed.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bjcarr721 wrote:

Thanks.

The speed test is probably correct and the more likely reason for the slow download is many, many  concurrent downloads on the Amazon server.

0 Likes
erouterzone-inc

easy way to know why.... First I bet you did this afterhours when the Verzion PEERING routers are slow....

to a TRACERT to the hostname of where you are downloading the files from...

you will notice the delays on the hop count.

the issue wont be verizon but it will be its PEERING core backbone routers that have been made to slow down

nothing you can do other then complain to the board of directors

for now join the club and lets hope verizon stops playing games with the speeds to mess with its competition on the video streaming.... remember they own shares to a service and want to cripple folks like netflix.

0 Likes