2013 is almost over... Where is IPv6?
devnuller
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone got IPv6 working or know when it will be available?  I currently have an MI424WR-GEN3I with the right firmware and have "enabled" IPv6, but not getting an address block.

What's the latest?

Tags (1)
Re: 2013 is almost over... Where is IPv6?
db909
Contributor - Level 3

I have always viewed IPv6 as a future necessity due to the eventual exhaustion of IP addresses under IPv4.

That aside is there any benefit to the end user?  If FIOS turned on IPv6 tomorrow would a true end user see any immediate benefit?

0 Likes
devnuller
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are direct to device benefits to consumers (see Xbox One P2P) and huge benefits to networks running out of IPv4 space.  Some ISPs are getting lazy and deploying carrier grade NAT which will have a negative impact on consumers running all traffic through some master box in their network.  Imagine ultra high speed broadband * N consumers going through IP translators

Verizon needs to get on the ball on this one.  Cable guys are much more in front of this.

So what's the word??

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@db909 wrote:

That aside is there any benefit to the end user?  If FIOS turned on IPv6 tomorrow would a true end user see any immediate benefit?

Here is a quote from http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28626003-

While an IPv6 address won't enhance your internet connection or provide extra features, the fact is, your experience on IPv4 will start to degrade over time. More people will be forced on NATs, meaning blocked ports. Hosting a website or server on IPv4 will become more and more expensive, and eventually almost impossible. And as websites start to go IPv6 only, it'll be harder for people not connected over IPv6 to reach those sites.

The simple fact is, we can start pushing to migrate now so that it continues to be "not a big deal," or we can be complacent about it and wait until it starts to get really bad.

devnuller
Enthusiast - Level 2

bump.  Seems like there are VZ support folks here, but no answer to this question.  One last try...

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hello devnuller,

While a Verizon employee may occasionally post here, this community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support. If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly.

0 Likes
iggdawg
Enthusiast - Level 2

@LawrenceC wrote:

Hello devnuller,

While a Verizon employee may occasionally post here, this community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support. If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly.

With all due respect, customer service does not know or does not share what's going on with IPv6.  I've been trying to get any mote of information about IPv6 status and plans from customer service.  I've called around a dozen times over the course of the last year, and not once has anyone had any information on it.  

tampaipv6
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been waiting years for IPv6 service from them; they've really dropped the ball compared to Comcast for example.  My inlaws have Comcast and when I visit I've been able to get native IPv6 for over a year now.

I also have a Fios business account for my office, so unlike the support folks who, if they even know what IPv6 is, just read you the canned response about Verizon is testing it blah blah, I've asked my sales rep there about this as well.  He can't even get a straight answer out of the powers that be and he works for the company.  He found that in theory IPv6 is being tested in a couple markets but no one could give him any idea when that would expand or how it's going.

I found a website that has a step by step on getting IPv6 service via tunnel for people using Fios, it worked pretty well for me:

http://www.ispcolohost.com/2013/07/08/howto-ipv6-at-your-houseoffice-when-your-isp-sucks/

tampaipv6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey, 2014 is almost over, still no IPv6, imagine that!! 

0 Likes