250+ Foot Long Run w/ Gig Speed
gcamacho33

Hi, I have a pool house that I want to hardwire so I can have a wifi extender in there. The total cable run would be slightly over 250 ft. If I use RG11 coax cable, will I get enough signal at that distance to maintain my gig speed internet? I know RG11 has a much higher stated run length but wanted to make sure it would play nice with my internet speed. Somewhat of a reduction in speed is expected and I would be fine with that. 

0 Likes
Re: 250+ Foot Long Run w/ Gig Speed
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coaxial cable (RG59, RG6 and RG11) in general won't support full gigabit speed. For that....ethernet cable is needed.

Because it is running between buildings, specialized cable will be needed with proper grounding.

I would suggest having a low voltage contractor look the situation over and install the cable per code (local & national).

Another option might be to consider a wireless link between the two buildings.

gcamacho33

I have conduit run between the buildings. It’s not a direct burial. My main router is connected via coax cable and performs fine. Running a 250+ ft Ethernet cable seems like a much worse option since degradation is even more likely to occur.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS gigabit service requires an ethernet connection between the ONT and router.

Converters on each end of coaxial cable could also be utilized. Verizon sells them online.

Despite having buried conduit, I would still suggest using direct burial cable (water blocked) as water can still get into conduit.

There wouldn't be any harm in using RG11 cable so long as the stiffness doesn't pose any problems pulling it though the conduit.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check your main Verizon router again - it must have an Ethernet cable plugged into it's WAN port in order to get gigabit speeds from the ONT.  If not, you're limited to 100Mbps.  I'm guessing you've noticed it also is connected to coax, which is needed for your set-top-boxes.

The Verizon routers do create a MoCA LAN on coax.  Depending on the Verizon router model, the max speed available on the coax may not be gigabit.  Post your model number and someone will confirm.  If it isn't a model with gigabit speed, you can purchase an external MoCA adapter to replace the one in the router. 

Also consider if you really need gigabit speed in the remote location.  Most WiFi systems will get  you 200-600Mbps reliably.  Which is more than enough speed for most WiFi devices and users.  Unless you're planning on hosting a high speed server on WiFi from remote location, I doubt you really need gigabit speed for anything other than bragging rights.

And please consider what dexman said about grounding.  Anytime you run cables between buildings, grounding and lightning protection should be part of the plan.  Without good grounding and surge protection, you'll very likely encounter a rude shock at some time.  If you're not sure how to do this, do some googling and/or contact an expert at running low voltage cables between buildings.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can a picture or two of the ONT be posted for inspection?

Note: pictures that are submitted for posting are queued for Moderator approval before appearing out in the open.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For wire run over 20 feet, I would not use any metal wire. We helped a customer here who has a dangling coax cable outside (remnants of previous cable subscription) hit by lightning. The voltages and amps fried the ONT, router, and switches. The Ethernet cables were also melted.

Coax right now can carry 3300Mbps in either direction with MoCA 2.5. MoCA 3.0 allows 10Gbps simplex, except still waiting MaxLinear to produce the silicon.

I'd recommend you go with fiber. Gigabit fiber Ethernet media converters are quite cheap these days. FS sells some at $29. If you want multigig media converters, that's expensive.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its run in conduit underground.

No risk of lightning strike.

And fiber is quite expensive.

If anything, you can get surge protectors designed for ethernet for additional protection.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the cable inside the conduit is regular CM/CMR/CMP, I would still suggest running one with water block/icky pick due to water can still find its way inside of the conduit and cause problems.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gcamacho33 wrote:

I have conduit run between the buildings. It’s not a direct burial. My main router is connected via coax cable and performs fine. Running a 250+ ft Ethernet cable seems like a much worse option since degradation is even more likely to occur.

The signal will drop drastically on that RG11. As said already run ethernet or fiber. The ethernet can run about 328 feet. The fiber of course is the best option.