5Ghz WiFi - Internet Connection Dropping
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

I was advised to ask this here (also asked on dslreports).  I see my issue is not exclusive.   I have had a G1100 router and wcb6200q wi-fi extender for awhile now.  Not really many issues, although I've found that streaming through the extender is sometimes hit or miss.  Anyway, all of a sudden over the last few days, I have all kinds of issues with 5Ghz via the extender.  Devices are connected, but no internet traffic, can't even ping the router!  2.4Ghz is working fine.  

User on DSLR suggested I turn SON on (had been off).  Another suggested I "disable DFS on the 5g radio."

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 5Ghz WiFi - Internet Connection Dropping
jonjones1
Legend

Turn self organizing network off. Not on.

reboot your router and then see if that helps.

sometimes when Verizon does updates the routers screw up. Just try my suggestion.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Turn self organizing network off. Not on.

reboot your router and then see if that helps.

sometimes when Verizon does updates the routers screw up. Just try my suggestion.

Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

I set SON back to OFF, and rebooted.  Will see how long this lasts.  Is there something inherently bad/wrong about using SON?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

As far as I see it, SON is an idiosyncratic way of negotiating wireless protocols with devices and between access points.

Some devices have problems joining a SON-enabled WLAN. It is the best to do the configuration manually. I don't want the devices to be too "smart."

jonjones1
Legend

It’s really not necessary. My netgear routers do the same thing only called something different. I simply turned it off. I believe it is called steering on my router.

totally unnecessary to have it assign WiFi as it feels it should be.