9100EM Router, How to put in Bridge Mode?
specops03

I am new to the 9100EM Router, but not new to putting devices into Bridge Mode so I can place a SonicWall behind the router. The problem I am having is I can not get the SonicWall to connect via Site-to-Site VPN and the the router reboots itself every 7 to 10minutes. The router only reboots itself if I have the Port Forwarding settings configured to allow the SonicWall and my endpoint to comunicate and I even put the SonicWall on the DMZ Port of the Router. Still I can not get SonicWall to stay connected.

Has anyone placed a firewall behind the 9100EM before and how did you do it?

0 Likes
Re: 9100EM Router, How to put in Bridge Mode?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if the sonicwall is in th edmz then you should easily be able to connect,   did you say the router (westell 9100) is rebooting itself?

that isn't normal.  I'd try factory resetting that stb. (use a pencil and HOLD in the reset button for 15-30 seconds and let it go,  and then try your config's again.   make sure that home router isn't rebooting constantly.   if it is literally rebooting I'd call tech support.  it shouldn't reboot on it's own.  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

and to answer your question, I simply gave my hardware firewall a different ip address scheme, and I had everything double nat'd.   that might not be the best config for what you want to do though, so I am going to point you to DSL reports multiple router config's and that way you can take a look at the various configurations out there and see which best suits you.

• What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
  • http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

0 Likes
    specops03

Yes, the SonicWall was placed into the DMZ and I was not able to connect to my other site. I had to enable port forwarding along with the DMZ setting to connect. Once I had an established VPN connection, the router (Westell 9100EM) would shut itself down and reboot on its own every 7-10 minutes. I then powered off the SonicWall and it still rebooted itself. Then I removed the port forwarding and DMZ settings and then it was happy and stopped rebooting. I really need this device to work because I work from home in California and the company I work for is in Ohio. Without the VPN I am pretty much useless and could be out of a job due to this device not being able to support a firewall behind it.

Any ideas?

0 Likes