About fios internet and my router and availbility of service
america625

Hi, I am here because I am extremely concerned about the availability of fios internet at my area, I am at California, Rowland Heights area. Cable sucks here, and I need a reliable service for my needs, are there any news of when will the fios internet become available at my area?

Another is that, because I have my own router, its a D-LINK DI655, fairly expensive gaming router, will I be able to use it still if I get fios internet service? I bought it thinking that might fix some of the problem that I have now with the cable internet( which it helped a bit but main problem is still at cable's backbone line under the street).

0 Likes
Re: About fios internet and my router and availbility of service
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I'm not with Verizon so I can't tell you when FIOS will be available but you can certainly use your own router.  When FIOS is installed you must tell them you want the Internet connection terminated as a CAT 5 connection.  Otherwise they will use your existing COAX connection and the Internet connection will be COAX, similar to how most Cable Company Services are provided.  Verizon will then install their own router which will accept the COAX connection.  (The Verizon router can accept a Cat5 cable Internet connection too.)

There is one thing to know however about using your own router.  If you decide to get the TV service from FIOS you will need to use the FIOS router (or buy a MOCA device).  The FIOS set top boxes require an internet connection to download the channel guide and to get video on demand.  There are FAQ's either here on these forums or on DSLreports.com that discuss how to use your existing router on the FIOS service with TV.  

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Re: About fios internet and my router and availbility of service
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is a FAQ that would help out..

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes