ACCESS TO WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER
KOJACK2

I have FIOS and Windows XP 64 on my main computer. I cannot connect to Windows Internet Explorer on my main computer or it takes over 5 min to get connected. My system is sometimes very slow when using verizon webmail also.

I have no trouble connecting with my notebook laptop.

I am not the smartest kid on the block with computers and I have been unable to connect with anyone at Verizon or Windows about this problem.

0 Likes
Re: ACCESS TO WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

If you are connecting wirelessly make sure you have a conenction that is relativeivley close to the computer.  The more walls, or metal objects between the access point and the computer the more interference you will have.  If you have any issues that have recently arose after being able to connect before always check to see if you don't have any issues with the connecting or having the internet running slow it's always good to run an an anti-virus or run Ad-Aware and/or Malwarebytes.  You can download them off of Download.com.

KOJACK2

Thanks for you reply but none of these suggestions apply as everything is right here on my desk including the router. I already have a few virus programs running and everything is up to date.

Thanks anyway.

KOJACK

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The first question is how are your two computers connected to your router?  Wired or wifi?

I suggest running a test at www.speedtest.net on each computer and comparing the results.  That may help narrow down if the problem is actually one of speed, or more likely a DNS issue.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You mentioned you have a "few" virus scan programs.  Its not recommended that you run different Virus Scan programs.  You should only have one virus scan program active at a time.  

Make sure in Internet Explorer you do NOT have a proxy set.  This is found under lan settings.  Don't have any of the options enabled.  Try to clean up IE by deleting temp files, cookies etc.

Try to install a different browser (Firefox or Google Chrome) and see if the problem still exists.  You may have adaware and such running.  You may want to install an adware removal program such as adaware from lavasoft.  Also, do you load lots of toolbars in Internet Explorer?  Close or uninstall them as well.

Jim

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KOJACK wrote:

I have FIOS and Windows XP 64 on my main computer. I cannot connect to Windows Internet Explorer on my main computer or it takes over 5 min to get connected. My system is sometimes very slow when using verizon webmail also.

I have no trouble connecting with my notebook laptop.

I am not the smartest kid on the block with computers and I have been unable to connect with anyone at Verizon or Windows about this problem.

Try running IE with no addons and see if that resolves the issue.  If so delete all the addons and progressively add them back until you find which is the issue - most of them are junk anyway and you don't need them.

To run ie with no addons add an icon to your desktop with these properties

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"  -extoff