ActionTec MI424-WR Router Issue
KeithWeisshar
Enthusiast - Level 2
When I use Steam to refresh a large list of game servers my internet connection freezes for several minutes.  I also get an NAT Error connection pool is full.  Also when will there be a new firmware for the MI424-WR.  My firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7.
0 Likes
Re: ActionTec MI424-WR Router Issue
Fios_Guy
I can't answer the questions about Steam. The new firmware 10.11.3 is scheduled to be released to all customers by 1/31/09. However, the schedule is subject to change.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Looks like you have the latest firmware revision. Here's a link to keep you up to date.

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp

Apparently, certain games and the verizon actiontec routers don't co-operate well together. Problems occur when the game is trying to ping servers to refresh them or when a game needs muti-ports opened.  The router can't open enough ports due to it's small nat cache size.  Unplugging your router will clear out the nat table, but this is only a temporary fix.

One workaround is to use the actiontec as a bridge to another router, then wiring your computer to the new router.

Here's a post you may find interesting...CLICK HERE

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The ActionTec router has a small NAT table. When you run Steam the NAT table is overloaded and freezes up the ActionTec. The new firmware that is being pushed out by the end of January is going to increase the size of the NAT table so that should help in your case.
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 01-09-2009 07:40 AM
0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

What will the new NAT table size be?  I am curious, because it is 1k now, with a 4 MINUTE port connection timeout

My Netgear is 128k, with a 45 second idle connection timeout

I hope they substantially increase it and change the connection timeout to 45 seconds or so.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Right now it is 5000 entries. It will increase to 7500 entries with the new firmware that is being pushed out.
0 Likes
OldScientist

I have the same MI424-WR as we all do.  After finding that local net static addressing does not work, I actually got through to an ActionTec

technician in September.  He said that the firmware was so buggy that anything more than default (as in hard reset) wireless and router

behavior would not work.  Sunday (1/11/08) I called them again to ask whether the firmware was fixed and whether MAC filtering worked.  He

said only that version 11.3 has been released and other information (what works and what doesn't) must be obtained from Verizon.  I said

that the Verizon people available on the phone are clueless; he said 'too bad'.  I called Verizon today and was told that anything beyond

making an internet connection work and getting email was out of scope for them.  She could tell me nothing more about the router

even though they supplied it!  Polite, but useless.  I have decided to bridge from Verizon's box to a Linksys wireless router and to disable

all other MI424-WR functions.  It is sort of stupid to abandon their equipment this way, but with support like that I think it is the best option.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Telcoguru wrote:
Right now it is 5000 entries. It will increase to 7500 entries with the new firmware that is being pushed out.
And this is just one of the updates. There are a ton of improvements they are making with the next firmware roll out.  For now...To get you going ...bridging it the best bet.  When they do roll out the next firmware update I hope you guys will let us know how it works out for your situation,..
0 Likes
zdenneh

I really hope the firmware update helps my situation. Here is my problem:

2 or 3 times every day my Actiontec Router drops ALL wireless connections. (I only have 2 wireless connections: my ps3 and my laptop. It will drop the wireless regardless if I have both connected, just the ps3 or just the laptop)

I live in a townhouse with several wireless networks in range but i've tried every single channel and it doesn't matter which one I'm using.

When it drops all of the connections it usually stays down for about 10 minutes. Usually I will just turn it off and back on again and it starts to work again. But then it may drop everything again within minutes or a day later.

If I plug in wired it works fine and doesn't drop, but unfortunately that isn't possible for my ps3 which is too far away from the router.

We have 2.4 ghz phones but they are not the issue because it never drops when they are in use and I've tried disconnecting all of the phones but didn't help.

It's not the signal  (my ps3 shows it to be around 95-100% signal and I can sit right next to the router with the laptop and it doesn't make a difference)

Possible solutions I'm considering:

1. Ditch Verizon (I only have Verizion for internet access and the home phones; we use Directv)

2. Ask Verizon to send me a new Actiontec (I'm already on my second one)

3. Buy another router and bridge to it through the Actiontec

4. Give up on wireless altogether. See powered ethernet

5. Pay to have someone come out and run an ethernet connection into the living room where my ps3 is.

Any advice appreciated! I've been dealing with this issue for long enough!

Message Edited by zdenneh on 01-14-2009 12:00 PM
Message Edited by zdenneh on 01-14-2009 12:03 PM
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

If your modem is fed by coax there is another option:  Using a NIM100 (assuming there is coax near your ps3)  Here is a great post describing how these TiVo users send their data thru coax using these Nim's    CLICK HERE

0 Likes