Actiontec MI424WR & fios G1100 Fios Quantum Gateway questions
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

I have an Actiontec MI424WR. older router but it works fine. I'm not sure the firmware is current or has ever been updated.

I found a G1100 Fios Quantum Gateway at a yard sale the other day. is this a newer/better more secure router than the actiontec?

also, can I install the new router myself, or must I call verizon for them to do something on their end for the new router to work?

thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec MI424WR & fios G1100 Fios Quantum Gateway questions
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is newer. Probably more secure.

You should be able to install yourself.

release dhcp wan address.

immediately power off old router.

then connect up new router.should come up ok.

worst case is to leave router disconnected for 2 hours to clear dhcp before installing new.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is newer. Probably more secure.

You should be able to install yourself.

release dhcp wan address.

immediately power off old router.

then connect up new router.should come up ok.

worst case is to leave router disconnected for 2 hours to clear dhcp before installing new.

macgig
Contributor - Level 1

works great. thanks. didn't have to call verizon. thanks.

on my windows 7 laptop, not working yet. asking for a network security key. no idea what that is.

also should I login using 2.4G or 5G? no idea what the difference is. thanks again. 🙂

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@macgig wrote:

works great. thanks. didn't have to call verizon. thanks.

on my windows 7 laptop, not working yet. asking for a network security key. no idea what that is.

also should I login using 2.4G or 5G? no idea what the difference is. thanks again. 🙂

The network security key is your WiFi password. And this normally is on the sticker of the Quantum router, not master password but WiFi password for your SSID network name. If 5 Ghz is available use that because it faster, however 2.4 Ghz is for farther distances 

macgig
Contributor - Level 1

works now thanks. 🙂

0 Likes
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

one other issue/question. I can't get back into admin area of router. wont let me enter a username. that field is greyed out? never happened with the older router. strange.

0 Likes
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

actually im back in now. it seems to save the usernams of "admin". wont let me change it which is odd. on the older router I can change that to whatever I like. oh well. otherwise all seems ok.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

On that same sticker it’s ADMIN and the master password.

now if the previous owner changed it you can reset it back to original by holding in the reset button in the back for a count of 10.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Glad it’s all ok😀

macgig
Contributor - Level 1

the sticker has an admin password but no login name for the admin.  I just found under "advanced> users" I thought the name admin could be changed. but it wont let me in the settings. I guess as long as the password is not easy to crack I'm ok. image

0 Likes