Actiontec MI424WR DLNA Problems
aevans0001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am hoping someone can help me.

My problem started when I switched from an Actiontec 9100EM

What happens is basically I can not stream anything from wireless to wired connections or vice versa.

I am able to temporarily fix this by going into setup-Advanced-Yes-IP Address Distribution and change it from DHCP Server to one of the other options and then change it back and all works, until the connection resets

I have tried every setting I can think of, and was thinking maybe I need to reflash the firmware to fix it?

Any help would be appreciated

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec MI424WR DLNA Problems
UTDCole
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just wanted to let everyone know that I called Verizon this evening and they were of no help - "Try sending an email to the address that is listed somewhere on the website" (which even the technical support rep couldn't find). I did, however, find the solution to this problem!

Login to the router, Advanced -> Yes -> IPMG Proxy - Set IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable): to Disable and save.

That's all it takes! Happy streaming everyone!

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@aevans0001 wrote:

My problem started when I switched from an Actiontec 9100EM

The 9100EM is a Westell, not an Actiontec. 

What did you switch to?  Model and revision please.

@aevans0001 wrote:

I am able to temporarily fix this by going into setup-Advanced-Yes-IP Address Distribution and change it from DHCP Server to one of the other options and then change it back and all works, until the connection resets

Change from DHCP server to what?

Do you have another router on your network?

It sounds like you're getting DHCP conflicts.

What do you mean by "until the connection resets"?  Do you mean "when the DHCP lease expires"?

Why do you think this is a DLNA problem?

0 Likes
aevans0001
Enthusiast - Level 2

MI424-WR Rev F

Change from DHCP server to what?

Any of the two options DHCP Route or Disabled, then you switch it back

Do you have another router on your network?

Yes but it is an ethernet only router no wifi, this setup worked fine on the last router

It sounds like you're getting DHCP conflicts.

What do you mean by "until the connection resets"?  Do you mean "when the DHCP lease expires"?

I am not sure it is either when the lease expires or when I take the device off of wifi.

Why do you think this is a DLNA problem?

I can use teamviewer (logmein pc) from phone to pc, I can stream Wired connection to wired connection, wireless to wireless

I can see the other computers on my network to transfer files even wireless connections

I can not use DLNA from Android or DLNA from Iphone.

If I connect old router (which had other issues) I can then stream to Android and Iphone.

I will test it with the other router unplugged.

Ok I can Stream

From Laptop (Win7) to Android

From Laptop (WinXP) to Android

From Laptop (Either) to Wired Desktop (W7)  this ended up not working except when plugged in

But not from Wired Desktop to Android, unless I do the little fix everytime I want to stream

0 Likes
nanakinoir1

Hi,

I've been spending the past day or so trying to figure out why my desktop connected to the wired LAN on the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. E cannot detect my PS3 on wireless using DLNA and vice versa. I have tried both PS3MediaServer and Windows Media Player to no avail. I played around with all the setting on the router including firewall and UPnp but something seems to be blocking the visibility of the two devices.

I later found out that I was able detect the PS3 on my laptop over wireless, but if I switch over to wired LAN on the laptop it will no longer be able to detect the PS3 as well.

Thankfully, when I found this support thread I tried changing the IP Address Distribution setting of the DHCP service to Disabled, and my desktop auto-magically appeared on my PS3! (Looks like applying any changes to this particular setting will have the same effect, per OP)

Since this is the only thread I can find searching the Internet that actually references my problem, I'm wondering if anyone else have similar problem with this particular router.

0 Likes
aevans0001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes this is exactly my issue, but has the fix worked continually?  My problem is with Mobile Phones so as I leave the wifi and come back it does not recognize it again...

0 Likes
blyent

This is basically my issue as well.

I had the Westell 9100EM.  Upon recieving my ActionTec MI424WR-Rev. E router I can no longer see my DLNA server on my wired PC.  However, I can see DLNA servers that are on wireless devices.

Any help would be appreicated.

0 Likes
subvelocity

Wow, I'm glad I finally see others are having this problem as well. I'm not sure the revision of the Actiontec router I have, it's a MI424WR-Gen2 with firmware 20.19.8.

For me this never used to be an issue, but started sometime late last year. I mainly stream to my XBox. I've since gotten a TV that offers DLNA streaming but that seemed even more tricky to connect and stream from my PC. I usually have to reboot the router several times, and it occasionally works - I'm glad to see a more concrete workaround (just tried the IP address distribution change, and boom, PC showed up immediately). I hope there's a chance of a more permanant solution. 

0 Likes
aevans0001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Me too but so far the only people responding only have 1 post.... Just like me..  Hopefully someone sees this and helps out!

0 Likes
RJA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently had the exact issue with PS3 Media Server on a wired PC no longer being able to see our wirelessly-connected PS3.  

Thanks so much for the "Advanced-Yes-IP Address Distribution and change it from DHCP Server to one of the other options and then change it back and all works, until the connection resets" tip!

Has anyone figured out a more permanent fix than having to do this every time we want to stream to the PS3?

0 Likes
737mechanic

I am having the same problems but I can not stream my dlna diskstation through the wifi part of the router. The wired works fine for me. I had a asus 56U that worked perfect except it would not give me the full upload speed so verizon sent me this router that works great full my full 75 down and 35 up speeds but now my DLNA server will not work for my wifi devices. Any help from verizon or someone would be great.

0 Likes