You guys seem to have an interesting issue, I would be curious as to what actiontec has to say. They won't talk to you over the phone, but they will respond via their contact us form online.
I am also having the same problem with my wired desktop streaming to my PS3. I called verizon tech support a few weeks ago and told him I had narrowed the problem down to the router but he kept saying there was nothing wrong with the router. The temp fix works for me but I would like for something more solid.
Have you guys tried to give the devices a fixed address. I would think if it was a fixed address, and never changes, then you wouldn't have to worry about the time outs
I also have the same issue after being sent an Anctiontec MI424WR to replace an old failing Westell. The DHCP workaround usually works. I updated the router to the latest firmware version (40.19.22) and still experience the issue. I wrote Actiontec support and received the following response:
Please report your finding to Verizon then please. They would need to test the DLNA requests and then write new firmware if needed.
Does Verizon Support monitor this forum? If so, what kind of information do they need to help track this down? The failure symptom is that the PS3 does not see any DLNA devices until the above-mentioned workaround is performed. After the workaround all the DLNA servers (I have PCs and a streaming-capable home media array) show and and work until the PS3 is rebooted/looses its IP address.
I have the same problem as everyone else. I'm running minidlna on a NAS connected via ethernet. All PC's and media players on ethernet can see the minidlna service however all devices connected via wireless cannot see the service. I did the DHCP trick, which worked for a few hours. I have firmware verzion 20.19.8 on a rev E router. I tried downgrading firmware's to version 126.96.36.199 but I get a error message "bad file" or something like that.
I just wanted to let everyone know that I called Verizon this evening and they were of no help - "Try sending an email to the address that is listed somewhere on the website" (which even the technical support rep couldn't find). I did, however, find the solution to this problem!
Login to the router, Advanced -> Yes -> IPMG Proxy - Set IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable): to Disable and save.
That's all it takes! Happy streaming everyone!