Re: Actiontec MI424WR DLNA Problems
imran238

I tired doing this and I still can't see any DLNA devices. I'm fairly frustrated right now and thinking of changing my service to Time Warner or AT @T. If you have any other ideas then please let me konw, FYI my previous router the Westell 9100em worked like a charm, I tried getting Verizon to give me a Westell but they had none in stock as it was discontinued.

Thanks

0 Likes
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

imran238 I had success doing 2 things

1) enabled ipv6 on the advanced tab

2) used the "jump" to disable IGMP Proxy that is no longer accessible from the advanced tab, but they left the web page in the router - https://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

imran238

Are your DLNA enabled devices viewable now? I will try that and see, I have the following configuration :

1. Blu-Ray player with DLNA device (sony) - as of yet cannot see media server on PC

2. Windows 7 PC with media server

3. PS 3 with DLNA device cannot see Windows 7 media server

I hope this works as I'm at my wits end trying to get all my devices to work through this router. I'll keep you posted.

Many Thanks

0 Likes
imran238

I tired your suggestions and I still can't see my media server from my DLNA device (blu ray player) did you do anything else to the router. I did the following

1. Enabled the ipv6 on advanced settings

2. used the "jump" to disable IGMP Proxy that is no longer accessible from the advanced tab, but they left the web page in the router - https://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

3. I also disabled the IGMP in the advanced router settings as well.

I will try again tonight to see if there is anything else I need to do, plese keep me posted on your sucess.

Thanks

0 Likes
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have you tried power cycling the bluray player? I'd unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in,

0 Likes
imran238

OK I tried recycling the blu-ray player and it still can't see themedia server. I configured the router according to what you recommended and the DLNA devices are still not visible. Feel like I've running out of options now. If you have any more suggestions then please let me know.

Thanks

0 Likes
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

Assuming that your DLNA server is Windows Media Player... have you checked the Windows firewall rules? It may be that Windows is blocking access. Also make sure that the folders or libraries are being shared by WMP.

0 Likes
imran238

I tired tweaking my Norton Internet Security firewall to allow Media Player but again this did not solve the issue. I made sure all the files were shared as well, I have no idea why this isn't working. I also looked at Windows Firewall and again it is turned off since Norton is the main program. I'm thinking of trying to get Verizon to send me a Westell Router as a last resort, otherwise it's time to change to Time Warner.

Thanks

0 Likes
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you have a norton software firewall running, do you also have the Windows firewall running simultaneously. If so just run one or the other, and make sure that whichever one is running allows DLNA traffic. 

0 Likes
imran238

I closed down all my firewall software and still I can't see my media server from my blu-ray player. I think this router is not designed to work with DLNA devices, if you can think of anything else i will try it. Thanks for your help so far.

0 Likes