Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 & Netgear MCAB1001 MoCa Adaptors
mattmcspirit

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help as the problem I'm having is really starting to get on my nerves! 🙂

We have a relatively simple network in our house.  We're on FIOS Internet, no TV, no Voice, and it's over COAX in the house, not Ethernet.  From the COAX port in the living room, we have the Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 router hooked up.  It works pretty well, with good speeds, and reliable wireless connectivity.  All devices, both wired and wireless work fine.  The problem however, is that some of the upstairs rooms struggle with signal, so I invested in a MoCa based solution.

As it stands:

Living Room: Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 (COAX)

Bedroom 1: Netgear MCAB1001 (with a Roku2 connected to it)

Den: Netgear MCAB1001 (with a gigabit switch connected to it, supporting a Smart TV, Xbox 360, Onkyo Amp, Media Center & Blu-Ray.

When it works, it's all great, however more and more recently, I'm seeing that the Netgear adaptors simply stop passing network traffic.  No DHCP addresses getting through, 169.X.X.X addresses on the devices hooked to them, and when I look in the 'My Network' box on the main dashboard of the Actiontec, it shows the devices as 'Inactive' when they are absolutely active, and are requesting network services.

The only way i've found, so far, to fix the problem, is to reboot the Actiontec, which miraculously provides all the MoCa-connected devices with connectivity again.  The problem is, this is happening almost on the daily basis.  Last night for instance, I completely factory reset the Actiontec, re-configured the network, and wireless, checked the MoCa channel (1150) and connectivity was working.  This was 1030pm.  By 7am, the Roku2 in bedroom 1 was no longer receiving network traffic, and as shown above, was now listed as 'inactive', even though it wasn't.

I don't know whether this is a Netgear, or an Actiontec configuration issue, and I'm not specifically sure why a 'reboot' solves the issue, but then after a few hours it seems to drop out again.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 & Netgear MCAB1001 MoCa Adaptors
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What do the MoCa speeds look like when everything is up and running? Are your Set Top Boxes also losing MoCa connectivity to the router? You can check by opening a Widget that needs data or trying Video On Demand.

See this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16569

0 Likes
marc35655
Contributor - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:

Are your Set Top Boxes also losing MoCa connectivity to the router? 

You likely missed it but OP stated no TV..

marc35655
Contributor - Level 1

@mattmcspirit wrote:

We have a relatively simple network in our house.  ...

Sorry i have nothing to offer in the way of help... but you must work with some pretty complex setups if you consider the one you describe as simple 🙂

0 Likes
mattmcspirit

Ha, thanks Marc!  😉

I thought a single Actiontec with 2 Netgear's would be simple, in comparison with some of the other setups I read about on here! 🙂

So, i did a hard reset on one of the MoCa devices (rather than using the in-GUI 'Fatory Reset' option in the Netgear menu that I already tried) and it seemed to have improved.  I haven't done it with the other Netgear yet, but its on my list of things to do this evening, so it may be that this 'fixes' it.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Matt

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Could you be running out of NAT table addresses or something similar? I seem to remember people discussing this kind of problem with the Roku...?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

What do your MOCA stats look like when you're having this problem?

How to check MOCA stats

0 Likes