Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I with ChangeIP dynamic dns
beefaroni

I'm trying to configure my router (Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I, v. 40.21.10.3) with ChangeIP.com dynamic DNS.  It's listed in the provider drop-down in the Dynamic DNS section of the router GUI, so i figured i'd be all set.  I setup an account with ChangeIP, and then got a hostname from them.

In the router i'm configured as follow..

Hostname: MyHost.changeip.com  (<-- actually MyHost.onmypc.org; "onmypc.org" being one of the domains ChangeIP offers for free.)

Connection: Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)

Provider: changeip.com

Username: My changeip username

Password: My changeip password

Dynamic DNS System: Dynamic DNS

Offline: (not checked)

SSL Mode: None

In the status area it just says "Error - Unknown changeip.com error".  There's nothing in the changeip knowledgebase.  Has anyone tried configuring changeip on their router?  I know they have something called homeing beacon, but really i just want this to work as configured without having to install anything extra.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I with ChangeIP dynamic dns
ceth078a

Hello, I had the exact same problem.  It seem Verison FiOS router is not very flexible.  You can't enter another Dynamic DNS (DDNS) and can only use one on the list. The only two free one I found was no-ip.com and changeip.com. 

The no-ip.com came back with a host not found cause they've changed the name to noip.com (without the dash) so the dumb router is not able to find it.

The changeip.com is no help either as you've found out.  I keep getting Error but it does not say why.  Fortunetely I did found a solution.  You can download changeip.com's DDNS Update Client (for Windows, Linux, or OSX).  The called this software as Homeing Beacon.

http://www.changeip.com/accounts/downloads.php

In Windows it runs as a self startup service so you don't to remember to run it but you will need a Windows PC to be on for the update to occur.  Basically instead of updating changeip.com's DDNS entry from the router, you have a Windows client that somehow figures out what the router's IP and act as a proxy agent and update your DNS entry on changeip.com.  This is a workable workaround, I think.  The drawback is you need a PC running every so often on your home network so updates occur.  But, the price is FREE and you can't beat that.

0 Likes