Re: Actiontec MI424WR (GigE) Router
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

In my experience, Verizon's business model does NOT include 'sales' of the routers.  If you have their products\service, you are entitled to and are only getting 1 free router which meets the requirements of the service package that you purchase from Verizon.    They are not in the business of building-up your internal LAN, and so therefore are not responsible for your built-up internal LAN, and will not provide -free or for purchase - any different router which is not required for the product \ service that Verzon provides.  -->>  If they did, then someone would want them to support their built-up internal LAN and additional attached devices, which Verizon does not do.

gigabit
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thx for your post. Indeed, I think that about sums it up. Strictly speaking, VZ has no obligation to "delight" a customer like me by providing a product which is beyond the scope of the service they provide and I pay for. By the way, as a triple-play subscriber, I can't even get the 150/35 upgrade, which is the only service supported by the router in question.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In areas where GPON is available, you should be able to order the 150Mbps package. These two threads might be worth the read:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25099220-150-35-FiOS-Internet-available-11-21-10

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25991693-Finally-got-150-35-150-65-.-I-mean-155-75-

That user had two FiOS connections in his home bonded to provide 70Mbps/70Mbps at one point. He went through a lot of trouble to get switched onto the 150Mbps package, mainly due to an issue with Verizon's database even though he had GPON service in his home on one of his lines. If your area has support for GPON, even at your local PON Splitter, you should be able to get the 150Mbps package, even if you have a BPON ONT. You will need to be moved to the new GPON splitter and have a new ONT installed, but it should work out. If your area is BPON only, then you're out of luck. BPON doesn't have the capacity to handle the package (even though it technically can) as Verizon does not want to oversell FiOS like that.

I figured I'd throw that out there even if it is unrelated. Otherwise, you're better off just using your own router and hanging the Verizon router off of your own router. You'll lose access to some FiOS TV services by doing that (Caller ID and Remote Video services) but I'm sure someone out there is making a workaround for that 🙂

morrisjl

Of course it makes sense. Verizon has a product, the newest Gig E + wireless N router, that might incentivize folks to upgrade to a more expensive data plan. 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@morrisjl wrote:

Of course it makes sense. Verizon has a product, the newest Gig E + wireless N router, that might incentivize folks to upgrade to a more expensive data plan. 

I doubt anyone is going to order the very expensive 150/35 plan just to get the router.

There are better third-party routers available.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To tell the truth, I have read of a few people back at DSLReports who did that for both a Gigabit + N Wireless router AND for the Ethernet connectivity setup. Paid for the higher package and downgraded the next month. But yes, there are better solutions out there that work better. All that is needed is a switch from MoCa to Ethernet for connectivity.

0 Likes
lorenkjr11

I have the revision F. of the MI424WR Fios router on my 35/35 plan.  The man who set it up knew my devices were wireless yet, he set it up using wep.  It was quite a while before I finally figured out why the wireless was so slow.  Finally set it up for wpa2 and performance n.  Works much better now.  I do miss the fact that the router does not have gigabyte ethernet ports but, for a different reason than most would.  Or then again maybe not.  I have a couple of gigabyte networks disks and I would like to get faster performance out of them, if that ever becomes possible.  

Since I have the fios tv, telephones, and internet; I am not sure how I could benefit by connecting someone elses router to the my present one and get the added speed I desire.  Explanations?  I am all ears.  One thought I had does intrigue me but, still not sure how it would work out.  What would happen if I plugged an Airport Extreme into my Mac along with a gigabyte hub or switch.  That I assume would keep the two network drives going through the router, correct?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

With your network setup, there are plenty of ways we could accomplish what you're looking to do. If you wished to keep the FiOS router as your primary router, you can simply hang switches and other routers (disabling DHCP and NAT functions, of course!) off of the Ethernet ports on the FiOS router to accomplish what you'd like to do. If you wanted to replace the FiOS router entirely, you could use it as nothing more than an Access Point + Switch + MoCa Bridge, but there are a few downsides to that. Again, it's up to how you wish to do things. So essentially, you've got...

ONT --> FiOS router --> Switches/Apple Airport Extreme/Devices --> Devices

OR

ONT --> Your own router --> Devices/Switches/FiOS Router --> Devices

Perhaps this FAQ will help you out a bit more, rather than my jumbled and broad thoughts 🙂

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077

Oh and yes, as you've found out WPA2 is required for Wireless N to work. WEP and WPA cannot be used what so ever.

0 Likes
tsh_138
Enthusiast - Level 2

While the versions of the MI424WR router prior to Rev. G may be able to support the throughput of the FiOS connection they cannot support high throughput for wireless applications inside the home.  The 802.11n spec adds MIMO, supports both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, and has a number of other improvements which make it a measured improvement over 802.11g.  For this simple reason Verizon should provide routers that support 802.11n to all FiOS customers.

0 Likes
ffrcoupe
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tsh138 wrote:

While the versions of the MI424WR router prior to Rev. G may be able to support the throughput of the FiOS connection they cannot support high throughput for wireless applications inside the home.  The 802.11n spec adds MIMO, supports both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, and has a number of other improvements which make it a measured improvement over 802.11g.  For this simple reason Verizon should provide routers that support 802.11n to all FiOS customers.

Agreed, to those who request it. I would say about 75% or more of the customers wouldn't know the difference.