ActionTec MI424WR / Port Forwarding
jschaf01

I consider myself pretty tech savvy.  I've configured plenty of Cisco PIX routers so I have some experience.  But for the life of me, I can't get ANY port forwarding working.  I have an ActionTec MI424-WR Rev D router with firmware 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6.  I've read the manual, I've configured port forwarding.  But no matter what port I choose, it never shows as open.  I've called ActionTec twice and they walked me through the steps, which were identical to what I did, and no matter what, the ports are not forwarding.  They appear to be blocked somewhere. 

I do not have a second router.  The FIOS comes into the ActionTec router and then two of my computers are connected as part of a network.  I am trying to set up a SSH tunnel to one of my home computers.  I've tried the standard port 22, and a bunch of non-standard ports.  I've even tried to get RDP working on 3389 and no joy.  The port forwarding is setup, I've tried medium and low security on the firewall.  From other computers on the network, I can telnet to port 22 using both ip address and dns name and I get my OpenSSH screen.  But it's not availble from outside.  I have tried it with Windows firewall (XP) both on with exceptions and off.  Still no joy.

I have read that people all over are doing this, but it isn't working for me.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong or how to diagnose the problem?  Shields Up says my ports are stealthed.  CanyouSeeMe.org sometimes says connection denied and sometimes says connection timeout.  I don't know what else to try.

Anyone?

0 Likes
Re: ActionTec MI424WR / Port Forwarding
jschaf01

Okay, problem is partially solved.  I installed CopSSH on my other computer, edited the port forwarding to point to the other computer, and it works.  I never suspected my own computer was the problem.  The question is why?  The only firewall on my computer is Windows firewall (XP), which I've created exceptions for and even tried disabling.  I still wasn't able to access the port.  So something on my machine is blocking ports but I have no idea what.  Does anyone have any ideas where to look?  I turned off Windows Defender and Symantec AV but that didn't help (and then turned them back on).

TIA for any help

0 Likes