Re: Actiontec Router: Replace antenna with a better one? Model #? Brand?
robhab

I just upgraded my FIOS speed from 15/5 Mb to 75/35 Mb
As part of this upgrade - received a new Actiontec Router (MI424WR GigE) to replace the older MI424WR router.

The old router had a single larger higher gain antenna - the newer router has two smaller antennas

My new wired speed is amazing consistently 80/40 Mb - well over the promised rates
My new wireless speed is great too - 40/30 Mb but only right next to the router in the den.

The old router had a full signal in my bedroom and living room.  I barely get one-bar now with the new router and the speeds are attrocious - less than 1 Mb most times.

So the "upgrade" has become a serious downgrade in reality - i get fantastic speed in my den - but my familiy is effectively shut out from using FIOS at all.  And my wife is very unhappy.  This must be fixed or I must return the equipment and go back to the old plan.  Please understand - this was a one-for-one swap -  the old router system delivered 10-15 Mb to all adjacent rooms The new router wont - nothing else changed - same location, same PCs, same walls, same wireless equipment.  It must be the new router and its inferior transmission power and/or antennas.

I have searched the net and read that this is a problem for several FIOS customers
I have heard the new router was intentionally hobbled to reduce range and signal pirating - i think that is a rumor
I must say however - this router upgrade is unacceptable
The range was promised to be greater in the advertisements... it is clearly less

I want to try to fix this before going further... and It should be simple.  i just need some guidance.
I dont mind spending extra to get a better antenna to restore the range I had before the "upgrade"
But.. I want some specific advice on what to do - which antenna to buy for example ... it should not be up to loyal customers to be forced to experiment with a dozens of antennas to restore old range and performance.

Please tell me what to do - and I will do it. 
Recommend an antenna or antennas and I will buy them and install them.
Please help me.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have two of the older router antennas around, try swapping them onto the new router you received.  Check your router's channel settings and your wireless environment for noise sources, as Wireless N can be a bit more susceptible to noise depending on the environment. Also try positioning the router in a slightly different location. Small differences can be big.

0 Likes
robhab
Alas. I just have one old antenna. Where can I get a second identical one... Which is my original question.
0 Likes
meldex

Is your house wired with coax in other rooms?  You can get more verizon routers.  It might be possible to run flat coax or ethernet cable to another location. 

Powerline ethernet would probably work in your house.

Try a wifi range extender sometimes called a repeater or bridge.  If you have an extra router laying around unused, it could be converted into a repeater.  

As far as a superior antenna goes there is no magic to increasing a poor or low quality signal.  I personally doubt you will achieve much with a new antenna.  A directional antenna can filter out other signals that might be causing your router problems.  If signal noise is the issue with your internet speed a directional antenna would help.  A cheapy directional antenna I have used is one from Fon.  It is basically an antenna mounted on a metal plate that shields it from noise coming from behind the antenna.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-Fontenna-Panel-FON3300A-Directional-Antenna-for-WiFI-Router-w-7-dBi-Gain-...       

At the extreme I have heard of Yagi type antennas for wifi.  Yagi is the type of antenna people used to have on their roofs.  I have even seen how to articles on making one yourself.  

0 Likes
Griffix

i kno this is late but i made a account just to let yous kno i found a aantenna that works with it

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-Link-TL-ANT2408CL-2.4GHz-8dBi-Indoor-Omni-Directional-Antenna/16523452

bought it cheap and got the wifi in my yard like i wanted

0 Likes
irishdiamond

You explained my frustrations right to a T   ---  I was told to swap out the antenna's with rp-sma with a 11dba gain -- in the process of trying to buy them now  -- 

Since the routers do not support a wireless bridge it is not recommended to bridge routers because it will screw up the tv guide and other devices that are connecting to the router (gamers) 

I am very close to leaving verizon -- very frustrated user  

Let me know if you find out anything else

0 Likes