Actiontec Router: Replace antenna with a better one? Model #? Brand?
eieio1
Enthusiast - Level 1

My reception with my Actiontec router is not great in some parts of my home.

May I ask what models, brands of antennas that work well with the Verizon FiOS Actiontec router that the good folks here have had good experience with?

This way, it will hopefully reduce the amount of trial and error of buying and returning antennas that do not work well with the Actiontec router.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Actiontec Router: Replace antenna with a better one? Model #? Brand?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I cannot suggest an antenna for the ActionTec MI424-WR myself, but in case you need to know, the Antenna type is RP-SMA so any antenna with that connector should be what you're looking for. The ActionTec does have an Internal antenna you're also fighting with, and that one cannot be disconnected.

prisaz
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

I cannot suggest an antenna for the ActionTec MI424-WR myself, but in case you need to know, the Antenna type is RP-SMA so any antenna with that connector should be what you're looking for. The ActionTec does have an Internal antenna you're also fighting with, and that one cannot be disconnected.

I never knew about an internal antenna. Good info. I have an older REV D. They told me to keep. I guess I should open it up and snoop around. After having the older routers for such a long period, they consider them paid for, or obsolete. So Please note my information below regarding Verizon equipment. Unless you are willing to pay for it, do not tamper with it. External antennas and such you can probably get away with.

PLEASE ALL USERS. DO NOT OPEN THE VERIZON OWNED EQUIPMENT. YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Certainly is there. I have a Rev. D with DD-WRT loaded onto it and use the Internal and External antenna in a Diversity array. Range and performance on it is pretty good with the combination running with the settings I drive it with. If you look at the top of the ActionTec where the External connects to, you'll see a small chip towards the edge of the casing inside which has a cable that runs down to the Wireless Card seen towards the back of the router. The Internal Wireless card's connection is the one soldered to the card.

Another great way to find the location of that chip: Turn the router on and see where the router is warmest after about five minutes. The internal antenna does output some heat besides the CPU. I'm not positive if this antenna exists on anything Rev. E or newer, but everything from the Rev. B I'm positive about. Rev. A doesn't seem to have one. Rev. G and I most certainly do not have an internal antenna, as they are all external.

0 Likes
nycpark

I was very frustrated with the wireless signal from the actiontec router- same numbers, but has fast speed and 2 antennae-

As fast as my main computer, my laptops were not very fast. I ordered an Amped wireless SR300 Wireless N Smart Repeater-

The unit did not do what I needed- However, it came with 2 antennae that were far superior to Actiontec- They made a big difference- I also moved to router from the floor to a table. They are 2 x Detachable High Gain 3dBi Antennas
2 x Reverse SMA Connectors Stronger and longer- hope this helps

0 Likes
marcl1

I also have the same problem, but I have the rev I router.  Changing the antenna is the only way I know of to get better signal througout my house, but the question is what antenna?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Dualmonitors wrote:

My reception with my Actiontec router is not great in some parts of my home.

May I ask what models, brands of antennas that work well with the Verizon FiOS Actiontec router that the good folks here have had good experience with?

This way, it will hopefully reduce the amount of trial and error of buying and returning antennas that do not work well with the Actiontec router.

Many thanks in advance.

Easier to just buy your own router and attach it to your network in conjunction with the Verizon one.

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3
0 Likes
brazeagle

How do you route a OTHER router through your VERIZON router?

The problem I have is that the MI424WR REV. I continuosly drop connection, blocks some of my devices intermitently and has worse range than my older Actiontec with one antenna.

Now, I am returning my SECOND MI424WR REV. I and will be getting a refund, thus I am back to my older router which works OK.

I am planning to buy a REAL router! and install on my network... because my FIOS has a coax input and other better routers don't, so how do I make my propsective GOOD router take over my connections while keeping the crappy actiontec?

Thank you,

LCL

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@brazeagle wrote:

How do you route a OTHER router through your VERIZON router?

The problem I have is that the MI424WR REV. I continuosly drop connection, blocks some of my devices intermitently and has worse range than my older Actiontec with one antenna.

Now, I am returning my SECOND MI424WR REV. I and will be getting a refund, thus I am back to my older router which works OK.

I am planning to buy a REAL router! and install on my network... because my FIOS has a coax input and other better routers don't, so how do I make my propsective GOOD router take over my connections while keeping the crappy actiontec?

Thank you,

LCL

The verizon router can be connected anywher there is a coax connector.

You can bridge your own router via a lan to lan connector from the VZ router to your own router

Alternatively you can have the ont to router connection changed to be ethernet and then replace the VZ router with your own router and then bridge to the vz router lan to lan or make the vz router secondary lan to wan

You may want to read this 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15990

Simplistically my setup now looks like this

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Seeking-static-route-help/m-p/676009

0 Likes