ActionTec Router/wireless printer
GarySw

I have the actiontec router, and an HP 7280 all-in-one printer.  The printer is connected wirelessly to my network, and up until a couple of days ago, I have been able to print from a Vista laptop, also running wirelessly, with no problem.  Now, even though the router still sees the printer, the laptop won't print.  Any printing goes to the queue, and just dies there.  When I ping the ip address of the printer from the laptpop, it keeps timing out.  HP tech support told me it has to do with the router...something about MAC filtering?  Does this make sense to anyone, and if so, is there a way for me to re-set something?

Appreciate any help/insights you all may have.

0 Likes
Re: ActionTec Router/wireless printer
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Did you set a static IP on this printer?

If not, that maybe why the router can see the printer but your computer can not..

#2 We are not trying to allow users from the net to connect to you / or to this printer.

Which router guide is the closest to the router that you have?

Go to portforward.com -> Guides -> Port Forwarding Guides by Router.

Then go to the Actiontec MI-424-WR

Also go to the Actiontec MI-424-WRv2.

And compare the screens.

If not these two router screens, please post...
0 Likes
GarySw
Thanks for your reply.  The IP address for the printer is set to automatic.  This is what the install guide suggested.  The router I have is the MI-424-WR.  Again, the baffling thing is that all of this worked fine up until a few days ago.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ok.

#1 Go into the router. In the router is the list of computers by IP address (maybe also by MAC address).

#2 When you ping the current IP address of the printer, what happens?

Moving along..

#3 What is the current DHCP range of the router? This maybe in the advanced area.

As need be, show a screen shot of that area so we can look at it.

#4 In your router at Security, access control. Maybe something called MAC address filtering..

As need be, show a screen shot of that area.

If you do not know how to take and post screen shots.. Go to portforward.com -> Forum -> Knowledge Base. And in there, there should be a a thread that talks about how to take and post screen shots.
0 Likes
GarySw

I will try your suggestions when I get home tonight.  In the meantime, I have another piece of info which may help.  I was in the router lloking at the security log.  There were numerous references to the ip address of my wireless printer, and each had this msg associated with it...First packet in connection is not a SYN packet: TCP ...

Again, I really appreciate your help.

0 Likes
GarySw
I tried to add some screenshots using the instructions from Portforward, but all that shows up are the URLs...the images wouldn't show in this post.
Message Edited by GarySw on 11-04-2008 04:20 AM
Message Edited by GarySw on 11-04-2008 04:22 AM
0 Likes
donaldm823
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same equpiment-HP C7280.  I get a great good connection by setting an IP address manually for the printer vice using auto.  Pick a high number (like 200), as the router uses the 100 series for their TV boxes.  (e.g. 192.168.1.200).  To set manually, use the menu on the printer itself

If that does not work-try reinstall of the printer driver as the HP supplied driver is "buggy"

0 Likes
GarySw
So I can pick anything I want for a manual IP address?
0 Likes
donaldm823
Enthusiast - Level 3
Not sure you can pick "anything" on the IP address.  The router menu tells you the router address limits, I think it is limited to 192.168.1.???.  With the ??? being 1 thru 250.  I know the STB (TV) boxes use 100 series, and I knew my computers, IPODs, etc start of with 2, so I chose to manually assign my printer in the 200 area so no confilcts
0 Likes
Hottuna076

Hi,

I have vista also with the same problem. All I do is reinstall the printer and it is fine. I dont know what knocks it off line but it does not happen too often.

0 Likes